The Beat on a Band: Paralexis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Seattle has a strong music scene consisting of rock and hip-hop music. Yet, the duo Paralexis is bringing in a new wave of electronic music. They admit that it’s a lesser known genre, but they are ready to change the music taste of Seattleites.

Aprille Perez (Seattle U) and Alex Bonilla (University of Washington) formed Paralexis when they were in high school together. Originally, the band name was Paradise. Yet, it evolved to the current name when they took the Greek root “para,” meaning “beyond,” and combined it with “lexis,” which describes all of the words known in a language.

@paralexistv

Perez and Bonilla describe their music “as if it came from [their] daydreams; [they] like having dark lyrical meaning wrapped in sweet and upbeat sound.” They claim that if they could go on tour with any of their influences, “Odesza would be fun, Purity Ring would be a treat, and ASTR would be intense.”

@paralexistv

The duo has participated in both SU and UW’s Battle of the Bands, which created a fanbase between the two Seattle schools. This year, the band is doing bigger things to get their name out there. Paralexis will be competing in EMP’s SOUND OFF! Sound Off is described as the Northwest’s premier 21 and under battle of the bands competition. There are three semifinals in the competition, and the winners from each round will battle it in the finals for the title. Paralexis will be performing in the 3rd semifinals on Saturday, February 27th. The EMP doors will open at 7 PM and the battle will be at 8 PM. Tickets are $10 for EMP members and students with IDs, and $14 for general admission. To buy tickets, click here.

HC: Out of all the songs you have produced, which one is your favorite?

Aprille: It’s a tie between Starlight and Still.

Alex: Tie between Freefall and Still. 

HC: How do you see Paralexis evolving in the next year?

We definitely want to play more shows. We have yet to actually book a venue or festival, so that would be an awesome starting point. We want to get to the point where we could possible go on a mini-tour.

HC: If you were pulling an all nighter to write a song, what food would you be craving at 2 am?

Alex: Ramen and Pho. Aprille likes tacos for some reason though.

HC: What makes your job as musicians worth it?

We don’t quite yet have the luxury to call it our job, but that is what we’re striving for. As for why we do it… it’s because we can’t seem to stop. Everything about making music is exciting for us. Even with both of our incredible busy schedules, we always find time for it.

HC: Have you been recognized by people on your campus?

Alex: No, not yet. HA, but there was a dude I heard playing “Freefall” which was nice.

Come support Paralexis as they battle to take home the title as EMP’s SOUND Battle of the Bands winners. Also, give them a like and follow on their Facebook, Instagram, and Soundcloud page to follow their adventure as them take over the Seattle music scene. 

Kim Tran

Seattle U

I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.