The Bachelorette Season Premiere: A Recap of Emotions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

I don’t know about you, but since last season of the Bachelor I have been counting down the days for the premiere of the new Bachelorette. If you didn’t get a chance to see the last season, or you just started becoming a bachelorette fan, let me give you some background Andi Dorfman:

Andi is a District Attorney from Georgia, 5”5, brunette, who left very suddenly after her overnight date with past Bachelor Juan Pablo. A fan favorite, she quickly stepped into the role of the Bachelorette committed to find the man to share her accomplishments with.

Andi is now ready to find the Juan one and embark on this reality TV adventure with 25 very attractive guys. The premiere, this past Monday, was filled with lots of emotions raging from sadness, to laughter, to awkwardness and finally to some anger. If you missed it, here is a recap, by emotions, of the awaited premiere:

1. Sad

The show unfortunately started with sad news about one of the contestants Eric Hill. Eric, a 31 year old world explorer from California, passed away shortly after leaving the show, which cause a lot of sadness and shock amongst viewers given the fact that he was definitely one of the most attractive.

I mean, just look at him:

2.     Bewildered

On a happier note we moved on to bewilderness.

Brett, 29 year-old hairstylist from Philadelphia, decided that the best first impression would be to bring a lamp with him. Yes, a lamp from the hotel he was staying at.

I am not sure, but since when did a simple bouquet of roses go out of style?

3.    Cocky

Next we had some eye rolling cockiness.

Amil, 33 year old helicopter pilot from Oregon, on national television, told Andi to pronounce his name like “anal, but with an m”.

That might have been the weirdest thing I have heard on the show to date..

4.     Embarrassed

Moving on we had some embarrassment (for Jason).

Jason, 35 year old physician, pretty much gave Andi,  the worst pick up line she has ever heard, in the most awkward manner. He goes: “I think you have a fever [takes four lurching steps back] because you look hot. No, all jokes aside, you look great.”

Sounds sweet but he just made it super weird, I felt uncomfortable for him.

5. Ashamed

And the shame continued.

There was an unexpected visit from Chris Bukowski, a big jerk from two seasons ago. He thought showing up at the mansion and waiting outside with a bouquet of roses would get him into the show, and he failed. Andi completely turned him down and the guy left whining about being in LA for seven days waiting for the show to start.

6.  Anger

Lastly, we have some anger from an eliminated contestant and simple amusement from the viewer’s point of view.

Most guys leave the show either shrugging or crying, but Josh B, 29 year old telemarketer form Denver, left us with a little bit more than that. Here is his very entertaining rant:

“You come here looking for a wife then all of a sudden you hear all those guys cheers-ing in here … no. I don’t, I don’t know. Whatever. It’s embarrassing, is what it is. So, yeah. It’s something a friend put me up to and I showed up and said, “Oh this is great! Yeah sure let’s give it a try. Let’s embarrass the F*** out of myself for one night to do absolutely nothing to accomplish nothing.” And it gets better:

And then I’m going to call my parents tomorrow and be like, “Yeah, that sucked, ah, I’m coming home.” I’m going to face reality, I’m embarrassed as f**. Cool. It is what it is! I’m going to go home, enjoy myself, take some vacations, and … and, this is stupid.”

Hope you are all just as excited as me to see what other adventures Andi encounters as the new Bachelorette. Don’t forget to keep watching every Monday at 9pm on abc. 

I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.