Attend the Seeking Solidarity Vigil: November 18th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

On Tuesday, November 18, SGSU (Student Government of Seattle University) will hold a vigil for the victims and survivors of power-based violence. Monica Chan, the SGSU Multicultural Representative planned this event in collaboration with the Seattle University Black Student Union.

We interviewed Chan to get more information on the vigil and find out why it is important for people to be aware of the events that have been occurring:

What is the purpose of the Seeking Solidarity Vigil?

“Over this past summer break, two events happened that captured the public’s attention and centered on violence. They were the shooting and death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO and the death of over one thousand civilians in Gaza.

The Seeking Solidarity Vigil will be a space for people to be with one another and reflect on the violence in these regions and many others nationally and globally, as well as learn more.

The vigil strings together these tragedies as non-isolated incidents that stem from larger systems that not only allow this violence, but also normalize it in our society.”

What will be occurring at this vigil?

“An alumni and current staff member of SU, Tyrone Brown, visited Ferguson for the weekend of resistance. He is the organizer of Moral Mondays at SU and he will be giving a report back of his visit to Ferguson.

There will also be testimonial readings from people living in these various regions (read by SU students), poetry readings, a moment of silence, and open space for anyone to share.

There is also a really beautiful poster print designed by sophomore student Carlos Rodriguez that will be given away in return for donations of any amount.”

If someone is not quite informed on the issues surrounding victims and survivors of power-based violence, how can they get more information?

“Come to the event! There will be educational leaflets with more resources for people to learn more.

A good place to start to learn more about the events in Ferguson would be at Teaching Fergurson.”

Who are the people that this space will be in solidarity with?

“The vigil will be a space for people to acknowledge and be in solidarity with other incidents as well, including the death of Jennifer Laude, a trans Filipina who was allegedly murdered by a Marine, and the disappearance of 43 student teachers in Iguala. We will also be supporting the people of Syria and Iraq, the children and women at the New Mexico immigration detention center in Artesia. This list is not limiting or all encompassing.”

Why do you think it is important to come together to seek solidarity at this time?

“There’s a lot happening in the world and in our own backyards that it can make you want to ball up and cry.

Being with one another in a deep concern to ending the violence and death can be individually healing and empowering. It is also important beyond ourselves. As university students we are very privileged and can be distanced from these events, so this is a time to pause to send even the smallest message to other communities nationally and globally that we hear them and we support them.

These are complex issues and the language can be very overwhelming. The event is only an hour long and is open to anyone, no matter how informed you feel about any of these issues.”

To learn more about the event, check out our event calender, the Facebook page or contact Monica Chan at SGSUMulticulturalRep@seattleu.edu.

Hey, hi, hello! My name is April and contrary to belief, I was not born in April—but that's okay. I enjoy (many) cups of coffee, '80s romcoms, and film photography. I write about things that I care about, so hopefully you find some interest in them as well.
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.