Andy Gorvetzian: Albuquerquean, Explorer, and All-Around Gentleman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Name: Andy Gorvetzian

Major: International Studies and Spanish

Year: Junior

Hometown: Albuquerque, New Mexico

What types of service work have you done? What are some service opportunities that interest you?

I worked as a tutor at Washington Middle School, participated in some environmental restoration, and was a part of Seattle University Just Serve for two years, during which we all worked with high school students to put on Social Justice nights and service days focused on specific themes such as homelessness, poverty, institutional racism, and so on.

How do you hope to see your service work evolve in the future?

A trip I took to Guatemala last summer in which we carried out an impact assessment of an organization that worked with women survivors of gender-based violence showed me a lot about the reciprocal relationship between international collaborators and local NGO leaders. I hope to continue to explore such mutually beneficial relationships that empower local leaders and create sustainable and equal partnerships across borders.

Aside from service trips, what do you enjoy doing? Are you involved in any activities on or off campus?

I like to bike around the city. That’s pretty fun. I also have an internship with El Centro de la Raza, which is a great organization that provides services to vulnerable populations in the Seattle area. Some of my coworkers there and I play basketball together.

Do you have a role model or someone who inspires you?

I mean, I do. But I think I would look like such a brown-noser if I mentioned names.

What do you hope to accomplish after graduating?

I have plans of applying for a Fulbright Scholarship, but I really don’t know if I could tolerate more academic work for a while after graduating. Of course I would love to travel, but finding a job with an organization that collaborates with NGOs abroad, or working for an NGO abroad, would be awesome.

If you could share any one piece of advice, what would that be?

Don’t do service work without first thinking critically about the work you are doing and whether or not your role is necessary or not, particularly in an international context. Good intentions do not always lead to sustainable and beneficial outcomes.

I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.