5 Things I Learned My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Freshman year can seem scary at first, but take it from us- it’ll be great.

1. Work hard, play hard

If there’s one thing I’ve learned this past year, it’s that you have to find the perfect balance and prioritize between work and play. You (and most likely your parents) are paying a lot of money for a higher education, so make sure you get the most that you can out of it. Go to class and do your homework so that you’ll have plenty of time to have fun with your friends on the weekend!

2. Call your parents

Like mentioned beforehand, they’re probably helping you pay for your education, so the least you could do is give them a call every once in a while to let them know you’re doing okay. They love and miss you, so they just want to see how life is going for you outside of the nest.

3. Do something outside of your comfort zone

Okay, maybe it won’t be skydiving…

College is a time to learn about and explore new things. As a nursing major, I never thought I’d be writing for a campus blog. But leaving my comfort zone to write for Her Campus was one of the best decisions I made my freshman year. Join a club you would never expect to enjoy, explore what the city around you has to offer, or pick up a new hobby – you may thoroughly surprise yourself!

4. You are responsible for your own decisions

Whether it be choosing a major or being pressured into partying on the weekends, you will have to make many decisions for yourself in college. You will encounter people who will try to sway you into choosing what THEY think is best for you. But, you have to realize that only you should be responsible for what you choose to do in this lifetime. Do what makes YOU truly happy, and the rest will fall into place.

5. Be yourself, make mistakes, and learn from them

College is the best place to figure out who you are, and who you truly want to be. If that includes making some mistakes along the way, then that is perfectly fine. Learn from those mistakes, because right now is the perfect time to do so. You are young, and you only have 4 years until you have to head out into the real world – so be yourself, run wild, and have fun!

Kathleen Erin

Seattle U '17

-
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.