5 Reasons We Want 6 More Weeks of Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Groundhog’s Day is one of the strangest holidays but gives us an opportunity to reflect on the changing of seasons. While fall has always been my favorite time of year, winter certainly has its perks. Let’s examine some of the reasons why we don’t want the little furry beast to see his shadow.

1. Infinity scarves stop being functional at a certain point.

I love chunky infinity scarves. I have probably five or six that I commissioned my mom to crochet for me. They are my staple for fall and winter but spring is just a little too warm to be draped in so much wool. *Sigh*. 

2. Football season is almost over and there isn’t a whole lot else to watch on Sunday.

Okay I am not a huge fan or proponent of this game BUT I know lots of people who are and to them is a pretty big deal.. especially in Seattle where we are about to hit Super Bowl round two! After the Super Bowl there is nothing left but to pretend you know what the hell is happening in a basketball game.   

3. Our pictures become much less pretty as snow and frost give way to rain, rain, and more rain.

Whenever it snows you know it as soon as you log onto social media. But we love that about winter – there is something so beautiful about pristine snowfall and those peculiarly sunny skies despite how cold it is. Not to mention all the adorable holiday pictures! 

4. Less than 30° outside means a valid reason for staying under the covers all morning.

If Friends or Gilmore Girls had been released to Netflix streaming in the middle of July you would not have been able to easily justify binge watching instead of going outside. Luckily when it is seriously cold and dark at 5 PM you can throw on the blankies, make tea and be a bit more lazy. 

5. Huge retail markdowns on all kinds of goods and services.

Post-holiday sales pretty much last until stores get rid of all of their seasonal stuff that won’t sell in the coming months. Whether you need a new warm coat or replacement bulbs for your holiday lights, you will always find something at a discount. 

If he does see his shadow, I am sure we can find five reasons for you to love spring too!

(PS, photos were taken from Seattle U HerCampus members. Follow any of us and/or our club IG @hcseattleu.)