This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Hello, Gourd-geous!

Listen up, because I have thirteen songs for Friday the 13th, I’m dying to share! Did I just give you the chills or are as excited for fall as I am? If not, have no fear! Here are some songs that I’ve fallen in love with this season and are guaranteed to have you dancing in a pumpkin patch in no time!

P.S. I have included the link to the playlist I made on Spotify. Take a listen while you read, share it with your friends, or play it out loud for everyone to hear! And if you have a song you want to share, go ahead and add it to the spicy collection I’ve got goin’!

#1 Dance to This by Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande

It’s hard not to dance to this one! (Pun totally intended there!) I like to start my playlists off with a song that’ll have me singing and dancing around like crazy, and this is a great one! Released earlier this summer, this R&B/Pop tune will make you feel like the life of the party. Although this track has a more mellow vibe, for some reason you can’t help but grab a friend and sing along. On this long-awaited duet, the way too catchy hook,“We can just dance to this” will have you thinking, “Why wait for the party? Let’s celebrate every moment!” If you haven’t seen the music video, I highly recommend it. It’ll leave you groovin’ ‘till the end of time!

#2 Lover Boy by Phum Viphurit

If you weren’t familiar with this young Thai musician, well you are now! (You’re welcome.) It’s hard not to listen and smile at this sun-ray of a song, and fall instantly in love with Phum’s youthful charisma. Although he is a recent find of mine, I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t a fan of his. Our golden boy started off like many of today’s biggest artists making videos on youtube, and has now found his spot in the sunshine! His alternative/indie-esc style and sound, along with his goofy personality steals your heart in seconds! Asking the world to, “Call me lover boy,” this song reminds us of sweet summer love, leaving his fans wanting to know what happens next in his love story.

#3 Remember Me by Umi

This song is a fall baby, as it came out just this week, and I may or may not know all the lyrics by heart! UMI’s lovable artistry and character show right through her music. “Remember Me” depicts the fragility of a recent breakup, knowing that you’re better off without someone but wondering if they’re still thinking of you. If you listen closely to the final few seconds of the tune, the music cuts out and she says proudly, “I think that was it.” We love nothing more than the serendipity of a song recorded on a single take. Her words seem to pour right out of her heart into yours, making her one to remember.

#4 Sincerity is Scary by The 1975

If you know me, there is at least one song by The 1975 on every one my playlists. I have a obsession over the authenticity of this band’s music, but who wouldn’t? This song is their fourth and most recent single they’ve released, leading up to their third album which is expected to come out before the new year! The 1975 seem to have a superpower when it comes to creating music, as this song is a perfect example of art as a form of social commentary. It addresses humanity’s lack of connection to one another due to the hypocritical expectations and values of our society today. Between the subtle touches of the horn section and the soulful gospel choir in the background, “Sincerity is Scary” is a song worth playing out loud!

#5 Walls by The Lumineers

For me, the cozy blend of the tambourine and acoustic guitar of a Lumineers song is the definition of fall. This is the perfect song to listen to at the end of a long day with a cup of tea and a good book. The story the song tells is sure to warm your heart and bring you right back down to Earth. Short, sweet and feel-good, The Lumineers hit home once again.

#6 Georgia Peach by Manwolves

Manwolves are anything but your average high school garage band. They seem to have a song for everyone. I must admit I have a bias because I’ve known some of the members since middle school, but that’s more reason to love them! The band is rooted in two things: friendship and music. Each member individually brings something to the band, and with that, a melting pot of jazz, R&B and rock influences makes for the perfect addition to our playlist! “Georgia Peach” is my favorite song to these days, especially when I’m cooking. (Maybe because it has food in the title?) If you love it as much as I do, check out their debut album, A Safety Meeting, released this past summer!

#7 Saw You In A Dream by The Japanese House

This is definitely one of those “close your eyes and listen” songs. It’s three minutes and twenty-eight seconds of the fantastical sound of singer Amber Bain’s dreamy voice, and every time the song fades at the end I catch my breath. This to me is a “love at first listen” song, one that speaks to your soul and makes the world around you a little brighter. Although this is not a recent release, “Saw You In A Dream” makes every listen feel like the first listen, and adds a little sparkle to our gray autumn days here in Seattle.

#8 North American Ride by Mallory Merk

Although this is one of the more laid-back songs on the playlist, it’s perfect for that rainy-day road trip with your friends. “North American Ride,” has a more somber tone with a trap-jazz (or as she likes to call it, “trazz”) element. Merk tells her story through the eyes of a free-spirited girl searching for clarity on a greyhound bus in the middle of nowhere. Not only will this song inspire you to find adventure,but it reminds us to look out the window once in a while, stop and smell the flowers, and make the most out of the moment we’re in.

#9 Good Call by The Slaps

Preface: I may or may not be related to the drummer, but who doesn’t love a supportive cousin?! The Slaps, according to drummer Josh Resing, are “a twelve-limbed organism capable of creating cosmic rhythm and melody,” and if that doesn’t sell ya, I don’t know what will! “Good Call” is the right call with a beach blues sound to get you caught in a day dream. Not to mention the charming voice of lead singer, Rand Kelly singing of “show tunes and love songs” making us feel right at home. Expect the unexpected with this band. I can’t quite put my finger on their genre, but they’ve got a little somethin’ somethin’ for everyone. Another up and coming band from the Chicagoland area, The Slaps recently went on their summer “Southern Hospitality Tour” with none other than our friends, Manwolves! I’m working on getting them out here in Seattle, so keep your eyes on the lookout for a show you don’t want to miss!

#10 Erés Tú by Carla Morrison

Let’s get this out of the way early, I LOVE my Spanish music, and this song is too lovely not to talk about. Born in Tecate, Mexico, Carla Morrison is a singer-songwriter with one of the sweetest voices; add a little guitar, and you are instantly under her spell. “Éres Tú”, or “It’s You,”, is a love song that makes even the tiniest things mean the world. This is another song that will give you that warm and fuzzy feeling, perfect for a cozy Sunday evening in front of a fire!

#11 Going Gets Tough by The Growlers

The Growlers are so good at giving us that feel-good music we don’t realize we need until we hear it. “Going Gets Tough” adds a little pep with the contemporary shimmer of the guitar and keys. If any song is going to brighten your day, this is the one! Singing about the power of love, The Growlers remind us of the importance of living life to the fullest and appreciate the people we love most in our lives!

#12 Thru These Tears by LANY

If you haven’t heard of LANY by now, buckle your seatbelts, because they’re coming in HOT! They are definitely a “where have you been all my life” kind of band. Dream-pop is the best way I can describe the sound of a band that has the ability to break and mend your heart in a single song. “Thru These Tears” is the first single they dropped leading up to their most recent album, Malibu Nights, which they released just last week. This song is a cathartic break up song that seems almost made for long drives on the highway with the windows down and your best friends screaming every word with you!

#13 Dance Baby! by Boy Pablo

Last but most certainly not least, we end this autumn list with a song that will have you dancing out the door! This cheeky Norwegian artist sings about love at first sight and his urge to dance the night away with his special someone. The almost too-catchy hook, “Dance with me baby,” and the romantic sway of the song are the perfect cherries on top of our sundae! Although this track is off of his forever young debut album, Roy Pablo, Boy Pablo recently released a new album Soy Pablo with more songs to get you movin’ and groovin’ this season!

I know what you’re thinking, “Thirteen songs, that’s it?!” NO WAY JOSE! This is only the beginning, my friends, to the greatest party of the season and now’s where you come in! I want to hear the songs you love to listen to this time of year! I know it’s corny and all but why not trick or treat-yo’ self to a good song and a dance? As I hand the broomstick to you, creep it real, and I hope your autumn day is a little more BOOtiful thanks to some good tunes!

Okay, enough with the puns, you get the idea… I love Halloween!

Cecilia Hansen

Seattle U '21

Hi all! My name is Cecilia, but you can call me Ceci! I am a sophomore writer at Seattle U double majoring in Humanities for Teaching and Spanish and minoring in Latin American Studies. After high school I spent a year living in South America and Europe teaching English and traveling! I love exploring and trying new things whether I'm at home in Chicago, in Seattle, or halfway across the world! I love to play guitar, cook and watch movies with my friends, and am a massive fan of Chicago sports teams. You can probably catch me roaming the streets of Seattle singing a tune or two, binge watching Friends or laughing about something random with my roommate!
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.