10 Types of People You See at Concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Whether you like FKA Twigs or Hozier, we all enjoy a good concert or two. I think one of the best things about going to a concert is observing the crowd.  Although its one of the coolest feelings to be surrounded by people who love and support the same kind of music that you do, you may see some pretty interesting or strange habits people have, too. Here’s a small list of a few of the types of people you may encounter on a casual concert night:

1.The Conversationalist

You know who I’m talking about. The Conversationalist is the person who will tell you all about their day or about how much they love this song—during the entire concert.

2.The Yeller

The Yeller is the person who is always trying to get the artist or band’s attention by screaming things at them like, “I love you!” or “Play [insert song name here]!” You might also notice some who try to have a conversation with the artist while they are playing.

3.The Couple

Have you ever noticed that some couples will stand in a line formation (i.e. one partner standing right in front of the other)? They also never detach from one another. It’s such a real thing.

4.The Stoic

Then there’s The Stoic, who is the person who shows no emotion whatsoever. No smiling, no swaying, no sign of life.

5.The Historian

The Historian is probably the most common person you will see at all concerts. This is the person who has their phone out at all times, taking photos, videos, live Tweeting, or taking Snapchats of the entire show. This person must record everything that happened at the concert or else they’ll regret it! If you see sudden flashes of light, you know who it’s coming from.

6.The Ultimate Fan

This is a true fan, the one who shows up with the band shirt (or maybe if you’re lucky, a homemade fan shirt) or comes in carrying a poster. This person probably has been supporting the artist for so long and just needs them to know how much they love them.

7.The Back-Up Singer

This is the person who knows every song word by word. How do you know this? Because they sing all of the songs right back to the artist. Sometimes even louder than the artist, too.

(Side Note: one of the coolest things I’ve experienced at a concert is when the entire crowd sings the lyrics of a song right back the artist—its such an incredibly cool uniting moment.)

8.The Distracted

This is the person who looks like they could care less that they’re at a concert. This person is usually just scrolling through Facebook, texting, or taking a Snapchat selfie or two. Regardless if it’s a really good song or a really moving emotional moment, this person will most likely not notice.

9.The Overly Intoxicated Human

Especially at venues with bars, you may run into a few of these whom we call the Overly Intoxicated Humans. This is the kind of person who may have had a little too much to drink and honestly doesn’t even care at this point so they are just moving their limbs in every direction and maybe even drunk crying.

10. The Mosher

Last, but not least, there’s The Mosher, or the person who will mosh any chance that they get. It doesn’t matter what kind of music is playing; this person can mosh to anything!

The truth is, there is no right or wrong way of going to a concert. We all may do some of the things listed above (or not), but hey, that’s okay! What’s important is that we all fully take in the concert-going experience in our own distinct ways. As long as you’re fully immersing yourself in the moment and you’re having a blast, that’s all that matters.

Hey, hi, hello! My name is April and contrary to belief, I was not born in April—but that's okay. I enjoy (many) cups of coffee, '80s romcoms, and film photography. I write about things that I care about, so hopefully you find some interest in them as well.
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.