Waverly Stephens ‘18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Name: Waverly Stephens

Age: 19

Hometown: Orange, CA 

Relationship Status: Single 

Year: Sophomore 

Major: Communication

Favorite Food: Cupcakes

Favorite Song: “Right now it is “All I Ask” by Adele”

Favorite Musician: Taylor Swift

Sorority: Kappa Delta

Her Campus (HC): Tell us about your trip to Australia this past summer. 

Waverly Stephens (WS): “Well this summer I went on a volunteer abroad trip with the organization International Student Volunteers (ISV) to Australia for a month, and it was the absolute best time of my life. For two weeks I worked in a sustainable community called Bellbunya, which is located in the middle of a rainforest, and I helped to restore and revitalize that rainforest. It was a really rewarding experience, and I met some of the coolest people ever while I was living there. For the next two weeks I explored Australia doing absolutely incredible things, such as: snorkeling and scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, skydiving, and rappelling down some of the oldest mountain ranges in the world. These are just some of the amazing things I got to experience while abroad in Australia. Along with this, I made friendships with people from around the world that will last a lifetime. I highly recommend going abroad, whether it be to study, or volunteer or to just travel because you will have the time of your life.”

HC: What is the Aztec Dance Marathon, and how can someone get involved in it? 

WS: “Aztec Dance Marathon is a year-round student organization that raises funds for Rady Children’s Hospital, which is a local hospital that is part of the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. What this means is that this hospital takes all children, regardless if they have insurance or not. Aztec Dance Marathon culminates in an overnight event that, this year, lasts for 15 hours of non-stop fun and non-stop dancing. It is such an amazing event that is so much more than just dancing. At the event there are games and food, and families from Rady’s Children’s hospital come and share their stories with all of the participants. This year it is taking place on February 12-13 from 5p.m. to 8a.m., and it is really easy to register; all you have to do is go to www.aztecdancemarathon.com and register as an individual or as a team! This event is absolutely inspiring and one of the best things I have done so far in my college career.” 

HC: Why did you decide to come to SDSU? 

WS: “Honestly, I came to SDSU because it was just far enough away from my hometown that I could move away, but not too far away that I couldn’t go and visit my family every once and a while. Also, it is an amazing school with a gorgeous campus and who couldn’t resist being ten minutes from the beach!”

HC: What do you like to do for fun? 

WS: “I love being outdoors and being active, whether it be hiking, running, surfing or anything of that nature, and I absolutely love spending time with my friends. But I have to admit, my secret obsession is binge watching movies and TV shows on Netflix.” 

HC: What is your goal in life? 

WS: “My goal in life is to have a career that I love; although I’m not quite sure yet what that will be. I would love to work for a non-profit organization of some sort, but I haven’t figured out what my plan is yet. As long as I’m doing something meaningful with my life, I know I’ll be happy.”

HC: Tell us something about you that people don’t know.  

WS: “I have always wanted to be a flight attendant.”

Sophomore at San Diego State University, majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. Campus co-correspondent in San Diego State University's Her Campus chapter. Born and raised in the Inland Empire. In addition to my love for journalism, I also love baseball, reading, and hanging out with my friends.