This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, it’s time to reflect on the year we’ve had as students. The ongoing pandemic has undeniably made this year a memorable one; both semesters were nothing like we expected, in some ways better than others. Here is what I learned through my decision to live on campus this past semester, despite classes being virtual. 

When San Diego State University announced they were transitioning to virtual learning for Fall 2020’s semester, my heart sank. As an out-of-state student, I was met with the difficult decision of whether I wanted to return to campus even though none of my classes were in person. Some people may think it was foolish of me to move back to campus considering the circumstances, but it was 100% worth it. I took the risk of embracing uncertainty through a living situation I was unprepared for, and a year away from home during a pandemic.

girl on roadtrip
Photo by averie woodard from Unslpash

The main reason I decided to move back to campus was to salvage whatever I could of a normal college experience. I have to say, nine months later I am still happy with my decision. This past year I have been able to explore San Diego, become best friends with my random roommate assignment, break out of my typical friend circle, be more involved with school clubs and organizations, learn how to cook (finally), and get a job—all while staying sane in my tiny apartment!  

If I hadn’t made the decision to come back, I would’ve missed out on an entire year of new adventures. I also wouldn’t have been able to meet with any new friends at my parents’ house, or learned how to cook for myself!

Just like every other year, there are things we learn about ourselves. However, this year it seems like we all learned a little more than usual after all the quarantining and virtual settings we’ve been in. I’ve learned that I can live independently away from home, even when the world is in crisis. I’ve also learned that I’m quite productive when I make detailed to-do lists, wake up early, and make healthy snacks in my kitchen. But most importantly I’ve learned to enjoy my own company. 

Girl in field
Photo by Vlada Karpovich from Pexels

Overall, I’m glad I made the decision to live on campus, even though it was unnecessary. I feel like I was able to have a more normal year of college compared to if I would’ve stayed home. So next time you have to make a decision between saving your college experience or opting to stay home, I say go for it. The time is now to enjoy everything college has to offer!

Hello! My name is Erin Barker and I'm studying Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations at San Diego State University. I was born and raised in the Denver area and always knew I wanted to go out-of-state at a campus with warm weather! SDSU was my dream school so it was a no-brainer when I got in that I'd soon be packing my bags. You can find me at any beach tanning, eating all the Cacio e Pepe in Little Italy, or getting boba! When I'm not here in San Diego studying I'm back home visiting family and my three dachshunds in Colorado! I have a passion for my faith, fashion, traveling, building quality friendships, and putting family first. I'm so grateful to be part of the Her Campus community to have a space to write creatively!
Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!