This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Suddenly having to transition from seeing our boyfriends almost every day to being in an LDR is certainly not how we envisioned our ‘honeymoon stage’. It’s definitely had its ups and downs, and we still have a few weeks to go before we can see each other again, but we have found ways to still enjoy the relationship with our boyfriends while we can’t physically spend time with each other. Due to social distancing and everything going on right now, almost all relationships have turned into long-distance ones. This can be a big adjustment for some, and it may get frustrating not being able to do the same activities with someone you care about. However, there are definitely ways to spend time with your significant other (or even just a friend) that can still make you connected. 

Below are some activities we have done ourselves, and they’ve really made the distance feel more manageable. 

Movie Dates (Alexa & Renee) 

There are three ways you can go with a movie night! You and another person can stay on Facetime (or it can be a phone call) and pull up a movie on Hulu or Netflix, then both hit play at the same time. The Netflix Watch Party extension on Google Chrome is a game-changer. Even for our friendships, it’s as close to a movie night we can get. Both of you need to have both Google Chrome and the Extension downloaded, along with a working Netflix Account.

It’s nice to grab popcorn and share our Netflix binging with our boyfriends, especially since neither of them has ever seen Queer Eye. Before we used the Watch Party extension, hosting a Zoom call (which mostly everyone has had to use anyway for school) and screen sharing was our go-to for watching movies or television together. The only downside to using Zoom is that the other person’s volume will be reduced, so it will be a little harder to hear them. Nonetheless, it’s very easy to watch the movie at the same pace!

Virtual Art Dates (Alexa)

One of my favorite things I’ve done with my boyfriend during this quarantine is virtual art dates! The first one we did was drawing our favorite Pokemon, and next, we’re drawing our pets as animated characters. Not every time we Facetime we only watch movies, and it’s been a really fun way to bond with him. Plus, this has been a great way for me to get creative! Having all this time at home has helped me rediscover how much I love painting and filling up a sketchbook.

Buzzfeed quizzes (Renee)

Similar to the movie night, this date would involve you and your partner sharing an activity while on Facetime. You can both take the same Buzzfeed quizzes and compare answers, or complete it for the other person to see if you know them well enough. 

Game Night *and drinking if you’re old enough!* (Renee)

These types of dates are my favorite. Game nights are perfect for competitive couples, and you can even add drinking to it to switch it up a little (as long as you are of age, of course!) You can either play games together through the phone or on the computer. On the phone, you can download the Game Pigeon app and play games like Checkers or Billiards through iMessage. 

There’s also the classic Trivia Crack or Stop Apps, where you both just have to create usernames and play versus each other through the app. Of course, it’s a retreat to middle school time when everyone would play together, but we all have to get creative nowadays. To switch it up, you can turn it into a drinking game, where the loser has to drink. There is also an online Cards Against Humanity that you can play together. (Cards Against Humanity). Cards Against Humanity is especially more fun with more people as well.

Lastly, my personal favorite for a Game Night is with an app called Photo Roulette. Basically, you give the app access to your camera roll, and it selects pictures at random from your camera roll. Then, when you start the game, it will display random pictures without revealing whose camera roll it’s from. Whoever guesses the correct player’s camera roll it is from first gets the point! There are countless games online that can be turned into an online multiplayer, and it’s all about finding which one you and your person find the most fun.

Study dates (Renee)

As everyone has transitioned to online classes, you and your significant other can have a virtual study date. Studying together through the phone on Facetime or a regular call can help you both focus while keeping each other company. Even better, you’re being productive while doing so!

Not being able to go out on dates has forced us to come up with new ways to connect with each other. Every relationship is different, and it’s important to do what makes you and your partner happy! We’ve spent some nights sharing memes back and forth, some nights we stay up until 2 a.m. having long talks, and sometimes we just watch hours of Parks and Rec. Ultimately, figuring out how to handle a long-distance relationship with this quarantine can take a little more effort. But, like with all relationships, if you both put in the effort it can make you and your significant other happier and help both of you cope with being separated. 

Getting creative has been just as fun as the actual dates themselves. I know the distance is hard, but it’ll be worth it!

-Alexa & Renee

Renee Cabato

San Diego '22

Renee Cabato is a Journalism student at San Diego State University. She was born and raised in New Jersey, and came to California with her twin sister, Rachel for school. She is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta. When not doing schoolwork, she is hanging out with friends or behind a camera pursuing her passion in videography and photography.
Alexa is an Art and Journalism student at San Diego State University. A true California native, she loves sunshine, being outdoors, and road trips. Her passions include photography, activism, traveling, writing, drawing, and all things creative. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, the Photo Editor for The Daily Aztec Newspaper, and currently feeding her caffeine addiction as a barista. You can probably find me behind my camera, on Twitter, or perfecting my latte art at Starbucks.