SDSU Joins the Fight in Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Over this past weekend, SDSU students took part in the fight against cancer by hosting Relay For Life on our very own sports deck, located on top of Parking Structure 5. The event had a great turn out with twenty-one teams made up of a total of 242 participants. Top teams included the RFL of SDSU Committee, Team HTM, and Music Fights Back.

Relay for Life is a nonprofit event set out to help raise money for the American Cancer Society. Each event lasts for twenty-four hours and consists of teams of people camping out and walking around a track in a relay-style fashion. The event always kicks off with a Survivors Lap, an inspirational time where survivors of cancer are invited to help everyone celebratethe victories we’ve achieved in the battle against cancer. At night, there is also a Luminaria Ceremony where candles are lit inside paper bags filled with sand, each bearing a name of a person who has been touched by cancer. This lap is done in silence in order to honor those still fighting the battle and to remember loved ones who have been lost to the disease.

There is no greater feeling than selflessness and being able to give back to the community. SDSU is proud to be able to contribute to the American Cancer Society by hosting the event and raising a grand total of $7,975!

Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.