This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

All photos are from Pinterest and mood boards were created by Kelsi Dugas

Dr. Martens is an English footwear company commonly known for its classic black military-style boots. An article by BuzzFeed said Dr. Martens were created in Germany by a doctor during World War II. These boots have been a popular staple among many British subcultures. According to Wikipedia, in the 1960s Dr. Martens started being worn by the Skinheads, the youth working class in London, and other groups’ such as scooter riders, punks, goths and musicians. Over the years the company has evolved to encompass more style aesthetics and has become a massive style staple piece. Each style is unique and has a pair of Docs to accompany it, but who’s to say you have to stick to that pair or aesthetic.

Vintage

Vintage style aesthetic is commonly derived from the thrift store kings and queens who find gems from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Recently the 70s have been making a huge comeback, and the Vintage 3989 Docs compliment this vibe seamlessly. The embody wingtip style shoes, have grove edges and yellow stitching to pull the look together. 

Bohemian

Originally associated with an exotic or unusual sense of style, bohemian has warped into an alternative fashion sense. It utilizes flowy fabrics and gives off the appearance of being free. The 1460 Pascal Wanama Docs are an iconic style boot with a softer color leather that matches the softness of the bohemian style. 

Chic

Chic looks often come off as very sophisticated. The looks are full of neutrals and monochromatic outfits shaped by clean lines and sleek pieces. The Black Patent 1460 Boots add a classy sheen to the basic out together outfits in the chic aesthetic. 

Artsy

This style aesthetic is for the painters and photographer gurus of the world. The pieces are often very unique and although oversimplified in this mood board often embody primary colors. Clothes are often self-made or reinvented. The 8065 Mary Jane Docs are very unique and give room to show off creative, colorful socks often worn in this style.

Tomboy

Girls who are stereotypical Tomboys love to hang with the guys and be like the guys. Not only do they exhibit more skater, surfer and gamer interests, but their style encompasses more masculine pieces. Outfits contain blue tones, oversized garments and more simplistic overall looks. The 1460 Pascal Suede Docs in blue fit this look well. They are higher than the usual Dr. Martens and have the appearance of being a unisex boot. 

Rocker

This style has evolved around genre or music and has created a subculture. It is very similar to punk and grunge, however, rock’n’roll styles have pops of red. Looks are edgy and hardcore. Many looks often dress down their garment pieces to give a more roughed up look. Jadon Docs are the platform boots. The boots chunky heel makes them empowering and matches the power of rock. 

I seem like your typical girly girl who loves all things fashion, interior design, beauty, and the color pink; however, I have another side which is 100% goofball and adventure queen. You can often find me dancing at country concerts, hiking, sky diving or surfing at the beach. I am a third-year public relations major at SDSU with a marketing minor and I hope to take my degree into the fashion industry in some way.
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!