This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

First, it’s important to note that everyone’s skin type is different. Just because these products work for me doesn’t mean they’ll work for everyone. In order to take skincare recommendations you should know what type of skin you have: dry, combination, oily, acne prone, etc. 

I know it can be hard to not end up with a plethora of skincare products you’ve been suckered into buying because of their aesthetically pleasing packaging or viral TikTok video. The truth is, a lot of those products could damage your skin if you aren’t careful to buy products meant for your skin type. 

I’m guilty to admit my skincare cabinet just a year ago was full of drugstore products that I either never used, or did use without knowing their purpose. After I was told exactly what I needed to be using, I threw out almost all of it and started over. My mission was to stay simple and consistent. Now, my morning and night skincare routine consists of four products total! 

Cleanser 

The first step with any skincare routine is to wash your face. 

Before, I deemed it necessary to have a separate cleanser for morning and night. However, you only need one which keeps your skincare routine consistent and your skin is not as overwhelmed with less products. My dermatologist introduced the brand Avène to me and I’ve never turned back. I use the “Cleanance Hydra Soothing Cleanser Cream”. This product is a cream wash meant for dry skin, and it removes impurities and debris leaving your skin calm and nourished. You can shop this product on their website (www.aveneusa.com) for $21. 

Exfoliator 

No matter your skin type it’s important to exfoliate on a weekly basis. 

I tend to exfoliate every other day Monday through Friday at night. Exfoliating your skin in the morning can scrub away the healthy oils your skin produces to protect it throughout the day. I use the “Daily Microfoliant” from Dermalogica. This gentle exfoliant is perfect for dry sensitive skin, but if you struggle with oiler, acne prone skin you can check out their “Daily Superfoliant”. The product comes out as a powder that is activated with a small amount of water which you simply massage into your skin for a few minutes. Wash it all off and you’re left with brighter smoother skin for just $59. You can shop this product on their website at (www.dermalogica.com) or find it at an Ulta Beauty near you. 

Moisturizer 

The last and most important step is moisturizer! 

Hydrating your skin is necessary to achieve the glow you want and most definitely need. Surprisingly, not moisturizing your face enough can actually cause acne. When your skin doesn’t have enough moisture it panics and starts producing more oils which can cause acne. So to avoid those pesky pimples and achieve that glow: moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! 

Unlike a cleanser, I use two separate moisturizers for morning and night. For mornings I use the “Calm Water Gel” from Dermalogica. For night I use the “Tolerance Extreme Cream” from Avène. Both these products hydrate my skin like no other product I’ve tried. You can shop the “Calm Water Gel” on the Dermalogica website or at Ulta Beauty for $50. And you can shop the “Tolerance Extreme Cream” on the Avène website for $38.

This skincare lineup adds up to be around $168, which is a bit on the pricey side. However, for just four products that last you months, it’s worth the splurge. If you think about it, the 10+ products you have sitting on your counter probably add up to around the same price anyway. These products have worked for my dry skin, but I’m confident both these brands have similar products to offer for your skin type! Definitely give their websites a scroll and see what strikes you! 

That’s it! Four products and two brands that will transform your skin for good. I hope this inspires you to clean out your skincare cabinet and start to invest in products your skin is craving. 

This article is not sponsored. 

Hello! My name is Erin Barker and I'm studying Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations at San Diego State University. I was born and raised in the Denver area and always knew I wanted to go out-of-state at a campus with warm weather! SDSU was my dream school so it was a no-brainer when I got in that I'd soon be packing my bags. You can find me at any beach tanning, eating all the Cacio e Pepe in Little Italy, or getting boba! When I'm not here in San Diego studying I'm back home visiting family and my three dachshunds in Colorado! I have a passion for my faith, fashion, traveling, building quality friendships, and putting family first. I'm so grateful to be part of the Her Campus community to have a space to write creatively!
Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!