This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

For someone as social as myself, I LOVE alone time. Don’t get me wrong, spending time with friends and family is my favorite thing to do! Humans are social creatures, so we need interactions with one another to survive. But the recharge you get from spending time with yourself is so energizing – and necessary. Here’s why:

1. Alone time allows time for self-reflection: If you’re like me and you’re always on the go, it can be easy to ignore your thoughts and emotions. I’m not thinking about things that might be weighing over me when I’m with my friends but ignoring those feelings doesn’t make them go away. In the past year, I’ve dedicated my alone time to journaling. Writing down my thoughts, letting my emotions out, and being able to address any stressors in my life has allowed me to free myself from any negativity.
  2. You can be productive: I know myself, which means I know how awful my FOMO is. I often say yes to plans knowing I have important things to get done just because I don’t want to miss out. But, when I’m alone, I find myself able to focus on the things I’ve been putting off– this can be anything from homework to cleaning (i.e. things I typically procrastinate). Once I get these tasks done, I feel an overall sense of relief and accomplishment. Taking that time alone to be productive relieves the stress I feel when making plans. 
  3. You’re able to manifest and grow: When you’re with friends, you’re focused on the now. When you are alone, you tend to focus on the past, present, and future. Who do you want to be? What do you want to focus on? Is there anything you need to change? Alone time allows you to tap into your mind and set intentions for how you want to proceed with your journey in life. 
  4. Alone time is relaxing: College (and life in general) is stressful! Sometimes you need to just snuggle up in bed and read a book, watch a movie, or scroll through Tik Tok. There’s no shame in doing absolutely nothing, especially when you’re already balancing so much!

So, if you’re feeling a little burnt out, dedicate time to being alone. Whether you need to get some work done, reconnect with yourself, or just simply do nothing at all, alone time is a beneficial way to recharge your energy.

Junior Journalism: Public Relations student at San Diego State University