Wellness > Sex + Relationships

♪ Let’s talk about sex, bae-bee ♪

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

College is the time for new experiences, and some of those experiences may involve sexual activity. So here’s what you need to know and how to keep yourself safe. 

There are many services on campus to help you and provide you with information. The Calpulli Center on campus offers affordable STD and STI testing. If you aren’t experiencing any symptoms or been exposed recently then you can go to the Walk-In Nurse Clinic; however, you can always call and make an appointment, as well. The Health and Wellness Promotion Office on the 3rd floor of the Calpulli Center will give you 10 free condoms and lube per day if you have your RedID with you. “SDSU Well-being & Health Promotion offers one-on-one sessions on the following sexual health topics: contraception methods, sexually transmitted infections, HIV pre-test education,” according to the SDSU Health and Wellness Promotion website.

If you have Kaiser Medical you can go to the Kaiser Permanente San Diego Medical Center, which is about 10 minutes from campus, and get tested for free.

If you are having sex, you need to be thinking about contraception. Today, there are so many different options for birth control: birth control pills, arm implants, IUDs (intrauterine device), birth control shots and more. Also, you can go to Planned Parenthood if your parents aren’t comfortable with these options but you are. We are all adults in college and in charge of our own bodies, so take charge ladies.

STDs and STIs are a big deal but they are not the end of the world — most can be treated and you’ll be totally fine. Penicillin is a gift from the gods. Something to keep in mind: you don’t know where these people have been, and if you ask if they’re clean you need proof. So wrap it before you tap it, no glove, no love, etc. Please be safe, because you are in control of your own body.

One more thing: if you can’t talk about sex and everything that comes with it, then you’re probably not ready to be having it.

Helpful Links:

SDSU Health and Wellness Promotion

Kaiser San Diego

Planned Parenthood

Hi y'all, I'm Sydney. I was born in California and raised in Texas. I'm an English major and hope to work in the entertainment industry.