How to Start Off Spring Semester on the Right Foot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

It is hard to believe that spring semester is finally here after a winter break that seemed like it would truly never end. It is now time to get back to buying books, listening to long lectures, and studying for hours in the library again! Here are 10 tips on how to start off spring semester on the right foot.

Photo by Element5 Digital via Unsplash 

1.) Read all your syllabi!

Reading the syllabus for your class is extremely important to being successful in your class. The syllabus has every single piece of information that you need, including assignments, due dates, and your professor’s office hours. Use the syllabus to your advantage.

2.) Start assignments early.

You will thank me in a few short weeks when your first assignment is due and you are not scrambling to finish it the night before. Especially if your professor has already put the assignment on Blackboard, it is better to read what you have to do and get a head start before the semester really picks up.

3.) Change bad habits.

If you know you rarely study and, as a result, do poorly on exams, it’s probably a sign that you should try to change up your study habits. This also applies to numerous other things like sleeping in, skipping class, telling yourself you will work out but not going to the gym, etc. This is a brand new semester, and you have the capabilities to change yourself into a better person if you truly want to.

4.) Stay organized!

It won’t help you if you are taking notes from four different classes in the same notebook. It is much easier to take the time to get organized now, rather than two months from now. In the long run, you will be grateful that you stay organized when you can find all of the notes you need for an exam in the middle of the semester.

5.) Go to office hours.

Your professors are there to help you and they want to see you succeed in their class. Going to office hours can help you understand the material on a deeper level compared to sitting in a large lecture hall with 200 other students. This can also form a connection with your professor which will be great for when you will eventually need letters of recommendation.

6.) Manage your time wisely.

You may not have as a strict schedule as you did in high school, and it is sometimes hard to figure out what you can do with all of this free time. College is truly the test to see if you can balance out your school work and your social life. Once you are able to figure it out, you will be golden.

7.) Eat healthy.

So many people’s New Year’s resolutions are all about losing weight and being more fit. It is always easy to say that you will do all of these new things, but it is often difficult to stick with it. Say no to ordering that pizza at 1am and opt for a healthier option at a reasonable dinner time.

8.) Set new goals.

It is always important to set goals for yourself so you are always working towards something. Whether it might be getting a 4.0 GPA, joining a club, or making new friends, the possibilities are truly endless.

9.) Sit in the front of the class.

This might seem like something you do not want to do, but in the grand scheme of things, sitting in the front is not bad. You will always be paying attention to the professor and will never be dozing off like people in the back. You will also get the best view of the board or screen, and you won’t have to struggle to see what your professor is writing.

10.) Stay positive!

Starting off a new semester can be very positive once you have all of the tools you need to succeed. There may be several times during this semester where you may feel down on yourself, but always remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that everything happens for a reason! It is always better to be positive with a smile on your face in all aspects of life.

Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!