How to Pack Light for Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that many college students participate in because it creates incredible opportunities to explore the world and meet new people. However, if you do get the chance to embark on this amazing journey, you may find yourself struggling with what the pack and how much to bring. You’ll suddenly find yourself wanting to bring every jacket and pair of shoes, but the size of your suitcases just won’t allow it. Based on my own experience with this issue, I will tell you some tips and tricks on how I managed to pack lightly for studying abroad.

Buy stuff there

This is a huge one. Many times when students prepare to go abroad, they automatically think they need to bring every single toiletry along with them. Remember, if you’re moving to a big city, there are certainly places where you can just buy essentials there. I left my shower stuff at home and just went to a local market near my abroad apartment to purchase shampoo and conditioner. They have everything! You don’t realize how much space these bottles take up in a suitcase until you see it, so just leave them behind.

Organize, organize, organize!

I’ll be honest, I’m not the best when it comes to organization. Thankfully, my sister is, and she helped me with this process. Throwing all your belongings into a suitcase may sound like the easy way out, but if you don’t do it strategically, you could be wasting precious space. I invested in some classic vacuum bags and packing cubes to condense and separate my clothing. Each cube/bag was divided by clothing type, and they fit perfectly into my luggage. This really helped me get everything I wanted into two suitcases, and if I hadn’t used the bags then I definitely would’ve needed a third.

Leave extra space

Don’t bring all your clothes. In fact, bring as little clothing as possible. You’re going abroad, therefore you will certainly do some serious shopping while you’re there. By the time your abroad experience ends, you’ll be thankful for all the extra space left in your suitcase from when you moved in!

These are the tips and tricks I used when packing for abroad, and I can safely say that I am so happy I did so. Unpacking everything was a breeze, and I didn’t feel overwhelmed with all the unnecessary items I didn’t bring. Packing your life into two suitcases and a carry-on isn’t easy, but it is possible! 

Hi everyone! My name is Tuya and I am currently a senior at San Diego State University studying Communication with the hopes of landing a job in the digital marketing field. I love going to music festivals, tanning at the beach, and shopping with friends in my free time. I consider myself a goal-setter and strive to be the best version of myself so I can be successful in my endeavors. I am super excited to be a part of Her Campus and can't wait to see what the future has in store! Go ahead and check out my Instagram @tuyahaden and my food account @hungryhapaa :)
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!