Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Gen Z: Is long distance really that unrealistic?   

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-millennials-long-dist_b_2966924

As college students, we have been hard-driven by society, the media, and sometimes even our closest friends or family members to not engage in long-distance relationships. Girls who broke up with their boyfriends for college, you know how this discouragement can feel especially when you’re madly in love. I’m sure you can remember the echoes of comments like “it will never work” or “he will probably cheat on you” replaying in your head. 

But long-distance relationships look different now, they’re more realistic and will continue to become more and more satisfactory in the future. So, this is what you the naysayers:

Considering our exposure to technology from a young age until now, we have not only become extremely tech-savvy but have formed bonds with our devices. Our phones have become a part of us and our identities, almost like a third eye or Harry’s third nipple. This bond was more publicly recognized from the recent “iPad kid” phenomenon, exemplifying the relationship Gen Z has with technology. But it is not the physical technology that we form attachments with, it is the relationships we create within it. For years, we have been subconsciously noticing trends, patterns, and norms of how to develop online relationships. Creating these bonds has made us more comfortable defining our individual and relational needs in a virtual space. 

In fact, 32.5% of college relationships are long-distance, according to Statistic Brain. Although the satisfaction level of these relationships was not recorded, this number still surprised me… but why? It shouldn’t be surprising that relationships can flourish virtually, we’ve known that all our lives right? It’s the ability to stay in constant contact by texting, Snapchatting, and FaceTiming every day that makes the relationship feel real and alive from any distance. This fast-paced communication provides each partner with consistent satisfaction and validation of the relationship which very slowly might be able to replace physical interaction, at least for some couples. 
For example, have you ever asked your boyfriend or friend to stay on FaceTime until you fall asleep? It might be embarrassing but let’s be honest, we’ve all done it. Even through the phone on a FaceTime call, you probably felt a little safer and more secure, similar to if they were physically there with you. Now imagine, with all the technological advancements that have already happened so fast, what would FaceTime look like in the next decade? Will long-distance relationships really be so controversial in the next ten years, even the next five?

Hi! My name is Emily Lytle and this is my first semester with Her Campus. I am a senior graduating in May 2023 with a major in Communications and minor in Spanish. Can't wait to explore more of my creativity and collaborate with the rest of the SDSU HC chapter. Feel free to reach out to me at (602) 531-0447 with any topics you would like to learn more about or see on our website, thank you!!!