This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Forever 21, the absolute go-to for last minute dresses, basics and bargains. With around 800 retail stores operating globally (about 600 in the United States), you would think that business is booming. They have always kept up with other companies with the same target consumers, like Zara or H&M, and were growing rapidly until they experienced a huge drop in their sales in 2018. They have recently filed for bankruptcy as a way to compensate for this loss in sales. They are set to close 178 stores nation-wide, including a few San Diego branches. 

The problem: the “retail apocalypse.” Online competitors, like Fashion Nova, are on the rise, and consumers are starting to prefer online shopping due to convenience and shifting in tastes. So, how can Forever 21 keep up? Shutting down branches is the first step, so they can take time to reorganize and improve their online platform. 

As consumers, it’s important to consider what, where and how we want to shop. Online shopping may be easy, but in my opinion, nothing beats trying on clothes, buying them right on the spot, easy returns and no shipping charges! 

Another idea to consider is how the closing of retail stores will affect shopping malls. If you think that you could live without a mall, think back to your first date in seventh grade when your mom dropped you off at the mall. Fashion Nova could never. 

Nona Saber

San Diego '21

Hi I'm Nona! I'm a third and final year Political Science major and ISCOR and French minor at San Diego State University. You can find me at the beach, shopping, or hanging out with friends and family. During the quarantine, I've been super into cooking and baking as well. Follow me on Instagram @nonasaber :)
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!