This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Is there ever too much pink?

Maybe, but not when it’s February and pink is the color of all colors to be worn all. month. long.

My favorite wardrobe piece this month has been this pale pink Topshop blazer that falls mid-thigh on my 5’7” frame. It’s straight cut, tailored, lightweight, and feels soft! I can honestly say I’ve worn it multiple times a week, with all different looks. Whether I paired it with light denim jeans and a basic neutral tee, a dress and some thigh-high boots, or my black velvet flare pants, this blazer slays.    

Millennial pink was a huge trend last year and even though it may be on its way out from the list of 2019s top fashion trends, I am all about keeping pieces in my closet that are unique and timeless. There’s a  special balance between a piece that makes a statement for a few months versus a few decades.

Here are my top 3 tips to make sure you’re not buying a trendy piece that you’ll end up giving away ninety days later.

1. Pick one trend a season that you LOVE…and then buy one or two pieces that fit the mold.

2. Choose a piece that has a timeless cut. Think straight-cut blazers or A-line dresses. Tailored waists or structured shoulders.

3. Don’t buy into the first trend you swoon over. Let a few weeks go by and watch how stores sell their merchandise, how people are wearing the trends, and keep track of the types of pieces within that trend that you keep obsessing over.

No matter the trend or the season, a lightweight blazer is always my go-to item to invest in, whether it $20 or saving up and splurging $200. You can never go wrong with a blazer to spice up even the most simple and casual outfit. Look for different fabrics and always think about the value of wear. Will you wear this piece enough to have a positive ROI? Will you love this piece for longer than the trend lasts at Forever21? Will you be able to transition this piece from season to season or even from college to a full-time job?

It’s February so I’m playing with the color pink all the time. Found a cute blazer that I can’t stop wearing? Check. Want to play with some colored shadows and get really into using those blending brushes? Check. Add a fun-loving, vibrant lip color to bring about some girly sass? Check.

If you’re loving pink as much as I am, make sure you check out the post-Valentine’s Day sales because there are bound to be some college-budget friendly pieces ranging from blazers like mine (Topshop, Something Navy, Leith) to the most feminine shadow palettes (Tarte, Fenty Beauty TooFaced).

What trends are you making your own this month?

Megan is the Chief Operations Officer of Kappa Alpha Theta and a junior studying Journalism and Media Studies with an emphasis in Advertising. She can often be found editing photos, checking in on the latest collections walking the runways and always listening to podcasts. A few of Megan’s favorite things are sour candy, skiing and road trips with great playlists. Don't forget to check out her blog (alwaysmegannicole.com), her VSCO (alwaysmegannicole), and follow her on Instagram (megann_fitz).
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!