Easy Ways to be More Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

College life is no doubt busy. It is hard to find time to manage school work, a social life, and personal time. Throughout my last three years at San Diego State University I have learned a few tips/tricks on ways to be more productive. I hope you all find them as helpful as I do!

Make to-do lists

One of the most helpful things for me to do is to make a todo list on any given day of everything I want to accomplish. I usually write everything down in the order that it needs to get done, and start from the top. Having a visual of what I need to get done is often overwhelming but also a good way of holding myself accountable. I also find it super rewarding to cross things out as they are finished and move on!

Be realistic of what you can accomplish in a day

Setting realistic goals is so important to being productive. I’ve realized that if I try to pile too much into my day I end up not being able to accomplish everything I wanted to. I think it is important to think about what you can do in a day and how you can do it.  

Plan a week ahead 

Every Sunday I sit down and think about everything I have to get done throughout the week. This gives me a good opportunity to write down important dates and events in my planner and think about where I need to dedicate my time throughout the week. I also think that doing this ensures that you won’t be caught off guard during the week, and if you are you can find some wiggle space with the schedule that you’ve already created. 

Find a workspace that is comfortable for you

Personally, having a cute workspace makes me feel so much better when I am working. I love decorating my workspace with flowers, candles, and pictures of my friends/family. I feel super comfortable when I sit down to work in this space, and I can get things done effectively. Something else that I have found helpful for getting work done is, you guessed it, going to a coffee shop! But I don’t think it’s any surprise that drinking coffee increases productivity!

Set deadlines for yourself

It is so important to give yourself deadlines. I think this is such an easy way to work towards what you want to accomplish. Doing something everyday that is going to help you meet your deadline is a great way to stay focused on your goals. 

Start somewhere

Life can sometimes feel overwhelming and out of control. Assignments pile up and due dates approach before you know it. I think the best thing to do in situations like these is to just start somewhere. No matter how big or small, starting somewhere on your goals for the day is a great way to motivate yourself and find a rhythm of productivity!

Saloni Patil

San Diego '21

Hi everyone! My name is Saloni and I am currently studying Psychology, Child&Family Development, and Public Health at San Diego State University with the hopes of becoming a Clinical Child Psychologist. I love practicing a plant-based lifestyle, working out, watching the sunset at the beach, visiting coffee shops, and adventuring with my friends. I strive to live intentionally in everything I do and to never let the fear of failure keep me from trying! I am so stoked to be writing for HerCampus! My hope is that my writing will inspire others to learn more about themselves and the world around them! Feel free to check out my personal Instagram (saloni_patil), my health and lifestyle account (avos_on_cados), and my VSCO (salonipatil).
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!