The Do’s and Don’ts of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

The holiday season is kicking off, and Halloween is just around the corner. Whether you’ve been planning your costume for months, or just realized we’re already half way through, it’s a good idea to brush up on your Halloween etiquette. Here’s a list of do’s and don’ts you can use to make sure you have the best time possible during the best time of the year.

Do: Have a game plan.

Finding a party to go to might not be difficult on Halloween, but you will want to make sure that the party you go to will be worthwhile. Make sure to know your options as soon as you can, and dress appropriately. For example, shoes might seem like a last minute decision, however, it important to make sure you’re comfortable so you can stay out as long as you’d like. Find out whether you and your friends are walking or Uber-ing, and go from there.

Don’t: Have an offensive costume.

It’s been said again and again, but I’m still going to repeat it: avoid costumes that are supposed to represent culture you are not a part of or any other marginalized group. This includes anything like geisha kimonos, Native American headdresses and attire, or Egyptian goddess. There are better costumes available that won’t appropriate someone else’s culture.

Do: Dress in group costumes.

Whether you match with your best friend or your whole squad, group costumes can be a fun way show off your creativity. Classics like Disney princesses or characters from your favorite Pixar movies are always hits, but of course anything is possible. Throw it back by dressing up as Mario Party characters or the Pac-Man ghosts. Even themes like being an old person or high school stereotypes would be unique to bring to the party. 

Don’t: Forget about other fun things other than parties.

Not really a party person? Don’t worry, San Diego has your back. There are a lot of things the city offers on and around Halloween like the Boulevard BOO! Parade (Oct. 29th), the Haunted Hotel in the Gaslamp Quarter, or the Haunted Trail at Balboa Park. And that’s not all, more events are listed here so make sure to check out all of the one’s that sound interesting. Even if parties aren’t your thing, don’t give up on getting into the spirit and having some fun!

Do: Be safe.

Halloween is one of the best holidays to spend with your friends, but it can be dangerous. Walking around at night in dark costumes can be a recipe for disaster. Make sure to stick to lighted walkways and use the crosswalks when crossing the street. Stick together in groups and make sure to be aware of your surroundings.

Have a Happy Halloween!

Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!
I am currently a sophomore at San Diego State majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. I have four years of experience as a writer and editor for my high school newspaper and am now one of the CC's for Her Campus SDSU. Taco Tuesday is my favorite day of the week, and yes, I am related to Abraham Lincoln.