This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Oftentimes, college-age students are told they don’t know what’s really going on and that their voices are insignificant. But, this has gotta change, and by the looks of it, it has! Greta Thunberg began speaking out at the age of 15, and later addressed the 2018 United Nations Climate Change Conference.

Naomi Wadler has advocated for victims of gun violence in the United States, and she was born in 2007!

Emma González co-founder of Never Again MSD, a student-led political action committee for gun control, gave an impressive speech at the March for Lives Rally in 2018.

Desmond “Desi” Napoles is a 12-year-old LGBTQ activist whose videos have gone viral and who is using his fame for good.

This list only names a few of the many incredible young people speaking up and making a positive difference in the world.

So, if you’re still wondering whether your age makes you less capable of making an impact, the answer is clear. Your voice matters and you can use your voice to do good. You can encourage your friends to volunteer with you, you can help spread awareness on any number of vital issues, you can pre-register or register to vote as soon as possible, and you can explain to others that one voice can actually do more than previously imagined. Remember, to make a positive impact, you do not need to be 21! It is possible at any age.

Greta Thunberg reminded us all that young people have the power to make a difference when she spoke at the UN Youth Climate Summit. She said, “We showed that we are united and that we, young people, are unstoppable.”

Julia is a Journalism Advertising student at San Diego State University. She hopes to pursue a career in advertising or marketing as a creative director. In her free time, Julia enjoys going out with friends, getting involved in her sorority, and enjoying the beautiful San Diego beaches. Even though she is a pescatarian, Julia loves to try new foods; she loves Ethiopian, Japanese, and Indian cuisines. As a proud intersectional feminist, Julia believes in fighting for all women’s rights. She hopes that her future advertising campaigns and articles will help to shift the conversation. Julia is ready and excited to promote meaningful, productive discussions through her writing.
Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!