Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Life > Academics

DEAR SO&SO: FEELING UNPRODUCTIVE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

DEar so&so,

Recently, I have been struggling with time management. Although, when I say this I don’t mean completing my projects for work or assignments for class. I have always been skilled in finding time to complete any tasks that have a due date or deadline. I honestly find it hard to not complete any of those tasks efficiently and on time. On the other hand, finding time to do things that I actually enjoy and want to do seems difficult to come by. For me, when I am not consistently working and getting things done, I feel unproductive and almost as if I’m wasting my time. Setting aside time for myself to do things I enjoy makes me feel less productive, and more stressed out. How do I fix this, So&So? How can I make time for things that I enjoy without feeling unproductive?

Signed, 

Feeling Unproductive 

dear feeling unproductive,

I totally understand where you are coming from. As a perfectionist and go-getter myself, I love getting things done. The feeling of crossing items on my checklist and making deadlines is incomparable. Because of how much focus I put into completing these tasks, I often forget to set time for myself to do things that I want to do and truly enjoy.

Not taking time to do things that you truly enjoy can significantly impact your mental health. At least, I know it affects mine. Whether it may be watching your favorite comfort movie, or spending hours perfecting the recipe in your favorite cookbook, it is extremely important to set time aside to do things that you truly enjoy. We are complex machines, not one-minded robots. Fueling your interests and passions is as important (arguably more important) as completing your checklist for the week. 

Use the time management skills that you excel in with your work and school tasks to successfully schedule in time to do things you enjoy. I know that sometimes fitting in time to even workout let alone do a fun activity when you are busy can be overwhelming, but the relief and joy that comes afterward is more than rewarding. You should begin to prioritize specific activities you enjoy doing into your weeks in order for them to regularly become a part of your routine. You can also begin doing some of these activities with a friend, so you have someone to hold you accountable for doing things just because you enjoy them. 

It is important to prioritize what is important to you and what makes you happy. If you do not actively set aside time for yourself to do activities that you enjoy, you might experience burnout, high stress, and anxiety levels. Something as simple as watching your favorite romantic comedy for some much needed downtime can actually make you more productive than you were before. Remember, Feeling Unproductive, happiness is a consequence of how we spend our time. So spend time doing the things that you love!

XOXO So&So

Hi! My name is Sydnie Domingue and I am a Pre-Med English major with a minor in Interdisciplinary Studies at SDSU. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, but I love living in San Diego. I love going to the beach, getting coffee, thrifting, anything fashion-related, and listening to music on long drives with my friends. While I love being near the beach, I know that one day I would love to live in a city! I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus and hope my experiences can benefit yours!