Cody Barbo: SDSU A.S. President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Where are you from?
Huntington Beach, CA

What’s your major?
Double Major in Communication and Business Marketing

What’s one of your favorite things about State?
Saying the weather would be too obvious, so I am going to go with the people. The friendships I have made in the last four years will last a lifetime.

What made you want to run for A.S. President?
I was beginning to get frustrated that some of my friends who were graduating would go all four (sometimes 5, 6) years without knowing what Associated Students was. It really bothered me because many of them were members at the ARC, the Aquaplex, and attended events like GreenFest. So one of key priority goals was to increase communication, more specifically, our social media presence.

How have you liked the experience this past year?
This year has been one of the best in my life! I have had the opportunity to meet some of the coolest people, in some of the coolest places. I understand the bigger issues at hand, that trickle down from the State of California, through the CSU, to SDSU, and down to every student. I am proud of what I have accomplished and excited to see what the next President has in store for next year.

What’s something interesting that people don’t know about you?
I am an adrenaline junkie and love taking things to the next level. I am in the process of getting my skydiving certification. I have scuba dived with sharks in Belize. And if you ever stop by the Aquaplex, you might catch me throwing some double backflips off the high dive!

What advice would you give to students who want to run for an A.S. position next year?
Do not pass on the chance to do so! It was a decision that I have had in the back of my mind for a few years. When the time came for elections I thought to myself, “Do I want to look back twenty years from now, and ask why I didn’t run?” So if you have the right group of friends, the optimism, motivation, and confidence…nothing can stop you!

What other groups and organizations are you involved in around State?
I have been involved with Associated Students for a few years now, but there is more to my time here at state. In previous years, I served as President of the InterFraternity Council, President of Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity, and even one year as an Apple Store employee.

(And on a lighter note): Tell us one embarrassing thing that has happened to you at State!
I don’t think I have ever shared this before, but during the first week of classes during my Junior year I went to a class in the PSFA building. I arrived early and sat down. As the students started walking in, I thought that these students look a little older than I do. When the professor walked in and began lecturing, I quickly realized I was not in the right class. In fact, it was a graduate class for environmental science (not my area), and I was too embarrassed to get up and leave. About halfway through the class the professor decided to take roll and my name was the only one not called. He asked if I was in the right class and I said “Definitely NOT!” and I walked out as the students in the class began to laugh…Let’s just say it was a good learning experience.

Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.