Captain Marvel: The Ultimate Female Heroine Movie We Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Captain Marvel was released earlier this month on March 8, 2019, and I must say, I am seriously impressed. Given the fact that it is currently Women’s History Month, there couldn’t have been a better time for Marvel to release this highly anticipated movie. The film uplifts women by telling the intriguing origin story of Captain Marvel a.k.a Carol Danvers.  

Danvers or “Veers” as she goes by in the film, is determined to discover the truth about her past while fighting off some bad guys…but along the way she finds that some of the lines of her past are blurred and she must determine which side she truly stands on. She is fierce, determined, and sarcastic in the most relatable way. Of course, the 90’s vibe of the film gave us the perfect dose of nostalgia and provided insight as to how Captain Marvel fits into the superhero band we now know as “The Avengers”.

Throughout the film, she is repeatedly told by her superiors that she must learn to control her emotions if she wants to succeed as a warrior, or “noble warrior hero” as Carol puts it. Yet, in the end, it was quite touching to see that her love for others and the desire to pursue justice is what inevitably makes her a true heroine.

Photo by Marvel via Twitter

Most importantly, it is particularly noteworthy that women, including Captain Marvel herself, historically have been told to suppress their emotions or else they risk being deemed as unstable and emotionally incompetent. It was refreshing to see Carol Danvers fight this misconception and prove to others that being emotionally intelligent is exactly what makes her a superhero worth looking up to.

Not to mention, Carol’s best friend, Maria, is another important aspect of the film. She is a mother to Monica Rambeau, as well as a trained pilot in the U.S. Air Force. Talk about a woman who can do it all! In this day and age, it is so important that Marvel depicted a successful, woman of color in the movie, setting yet another example for girls across the world.

Overall, Marvel gave us important background history of a character who as we know might just be a very crucial character in the MCU. If you haven’t already seen this empowering film, I definitely recommend checking it out especially if you are preparing to see Avengers: End Game, set to release on April 26, 2019. Captain Marvel will share the screen for the first time with her superhero counterparts including but not limited to: Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Thor, and many, many more.

Photo by Marvel via Twitter

Jessica (aka Jess or Jessie) is currently a Junior at San Diego State University majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. She is working towards completing a minor in French, in hopes of traveling to France one day. Jess currently serves as the Vice President for the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) SDSU chapter and is the HerCampus SDSU Treasurer. When she's not eating her favorite ice cream, she enjoys hanging with her dogs, going to concerts and watching Dodger games.
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!