samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Back to School Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

The new semester is here and it’s important to be prepared with all the back to school essentials. In this post, I share with you my back to school essentials and everything I’m buying for this semester of college.

Photo by Kayla Compton

Backpack

The main essential for going back to school is a backpack. I always loved getting a new backpack for school as a kid and that hasn’t changed. I like backpacks that have many different pockets to store everything in and it definitely needs a section for a laptop. My sorority gives us a new backpack each year so I won’t be ordering one, but I would definitely be getting this Herschel backpack if I was buying a new one. It has a small pocket, a large pocket, and a laptop sleeve, so it’s perfect to hold everything you need for school.

Planner

My favorite thing to get for back to school is a new planner. This year I went with this marble Day Designer because each day has its own page with both a timetable and to-do list for the day. Although it’s a little pricey for a planner, the Day Designer is exactly what I need to stay organized for the new school year. It’s helped me be more productive and actually get everything done that I need to each day.

Notebooks

New notebooks are definitely a back to school essential. I know a lot of people have switched to taking notes digitally, whether on a laptop or an iPad, but I’m still a fan of handwritten notes. I always get a one subject notebook and put all my notes in the one notebook so they’re all in one place and I’m less likely to lose them. I bought a single-subject, Five Star notebook for the upcoming semester and I’m sure it’ll be full by the time May comes around.

Reusable Water Bottle

We could all be more eco-friendly so I recommend getting a reusable water bottle for the new semester. It’s perfect to throw in your backpack so you have water throughout the day and you can refill it as many times as you need. Recently, I got a 40 oz Hydroflask with the straw lid and it’s honestly been life changing. I drink a lot more water each day and I don’t have to refill it as many times during the day as a smaller water bottle.

Pencil Case

I always need a pencil case to keep all of my pens, pencils and highlighters organized in my bag. This pencil case is perfect because it has several different pouches and compartments to keep everything organized. My favorite pencils are the Papermate mechanical pencils and my favorite pens are the Pilot G-2s. I always make sure to keep a few of each stocked in my pencil case.

Headphones

When I’m walking to and from class, I love listening to music or a podcast. AirPods are the newest trend, but if you’re like me, Airpods just aren’t in the budget. I’ve had these wireless headphones for almost a year now and I love them. They are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym or getting work done in the library. They might not be as trendy, but they get the job done.

I hope this post helps you find all of your back to school essentials for the new semester!

Kayla is the Senior Editor for Her Campus SDSU and she is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. She is a senior studying Journalism and Media Studies with an emphasis in Public Relations. Kayla can often be found editing Youtube videos, reading a good book or going to see musicals. Her favorite things are the San Francisco Giants, puppies and mint chocolate chip ice cream. Don't forget to check out her blog and Youtube channel and follow her on Instagram and Twitter.