This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

As busy, stressed college students, we all could use a quick and easy snack to treat ourselves, whether you finished that paper, got an A on that midterm or woke up to that first alarm for the first time in 7 weeks (sorry roommates). As much as I love to bake, the stack of dishes that pile up in the process combined with the hours I need to dedicate to making myself something, stop me from baking some of my all time favorites quick and easy snacks. However, modern problems require modern solutions and this modern solution is a favorite of mine: mug cakes. Taking only minutes to make and leaving one dirty dish at the end, mug cakes are an essential for dorm and apartment life and here are a couple of my favorite recipes so they can be a staple for your treat-yourself diet too.

shutterstock.com

Let’s start with a classic, chocolate cake. For this one, you’ll need:

• ¼ cup of all-purpose flour

• ¼ cup of white sugar

• 2 Tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder

• ⅛ tsp of baking soda

• ⅛ tsp of salt

• 3 Tbsp. of milk

• 2 Tbsp. of canola oil

• 1 Tbsp. of water

• ¼ tsp of vanilla extract

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a mug of your choice. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the mug. Cook in a microwave for about 1 minute and 45 seconds or until done.

shutterstock.com

And now for my personal favorite, the mug chocolate chip cookie. For this one, you’ll need:

• 1 Tbsp. of butter

• 1 Tbsp. of white sugar

• 1 Tbsp. of packed dark brown sugar

• 3 drops of vanilla extract

• A pinch of salt

• 1 egg yolk

• ¼ cup of all-purpose flour

• 2 Tbsp. of chocolate chips

Melt the butter in the microwave in a mug of your choosing. Stir vanilla, sugars, and salt into the melted butter. Stir in egg yolk. Stir in flour. Finally, stir in chocolate chips. Cook in microwave for 40 to 60 seconds and enjoy!

Honestly these recipes are so simple and they make me feel like a professional chef. These are my favorite way to treat myself and after testing the basics, there are so many different kinds to try out yourself. So whatever win you’re celebrating next, don’t forget this easy way to treat yourself!

Maggie is a freshman at San Diego State University. She plans on graduating with a foods and nutrition major, and working towards becoming a registered dietitian nutritionist. She grew up in Orange County, and loves going to the beach and enjoying the sunny weather of San Diego.
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!