Aisha’s Piece of the Week: Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

As another sun-soaked season fades away, we are blessed to welcome a new one. It’s just another one of the wonders of living in sunny San Diego. I trust that all you beauties have been busy planning for the Fall semester, from scouring RateMyProfessor.com to make sure you aren’t stuck with Professor Neurotic, to picking an outfit for the first day of classes that’s smart but makes a statement.

Of course, I am sure that you have also kept your eyes on the runways during Fashion Week to spot all the hottest trends this season. But the number of trends in each show can be overwhelming. So to make your lives easier, we have worked hard finding trends for the new season, exploring collections of many, many designers, to come up with the top 10 trends for fall that encompass inspirations from all the top designers that showed at different Fashion Weeks across the globe.

So grab a cup of chai and relax! We’ve got you covered. And since college girls like us are on a tight budget, we have found high street options so you can strut your stuff without breaking the bank. Here are the top 10 picks of the season:

1) High collars and turtlenecksThis is a wardrobe staple. It’s classic, chic and comfortable. Not only does it effortlessly add an air of sophistication, it also keeps you warm. It’s a great investment because you can wear it all the time, yet make it new by layering pieces. You could rock a colored turtleneck under a blazer at work, or reinvent the little black dress by wearing one with a turtleneck and dramatic accessories and tights.

Forever 21 has a mock turtleneck sweater for just $12! It’s available in three colors and is a lightweight knit, making it perfect for an autumn day in San Diego.

2) Embellished sheers
Sheer tops have been going strong for a while now. But I’m tired of celebrities like Miley Cyrus wearing them as an excuse to show off their bras. Fall sheers focus on tiny details—ribbons, lace, studs and sparkling embellishments that bring focus to the woman, not the body.

Forever 21 has a beautiful rust colored sheer top with beading for $27.80.

3) Peplum
Peplum has been creeping into our wardrobes since January and the trend is here to stay. The silhouette was seen on almost every runway during Fashion Week in a variety of prints and patterns. The beauty of peplum is that it flares out at the waist, hiding any bulges, or that gut you might have from indulging in one too many cupcakes. The architectural shape creates a structure that is stunning to look at.

Charlotte Russe has a variety of pretty peplum skirts to choose from, like this purple midi ponte for $16.99.

4) Colorful fur
In every hue you can imagine, emerald to orange, while jewel-tones are preferred, the choices are endless for fur this fall. You can rock pieces that are sleek or shaggy, and use fur as a statement piece or accessory. There’s only one rule: Be wild!

For cheap finds, head to a thrift store for something fabulous from the ‘80s. Or check out Zara. I bought a blue fur stole from the store, but they don’t have it online.

5) Asian-inspired dresses and blouses.
As the world becomes more interconnected, the fashionable become more cultured. Oriental details make an outfit more exotic and exciting! Whether it is a kimono-inspired dress or a body hugging cheong sam inspired blouse, Asia was all over the runways. My favorites are in silk, but velvets and polyesters work well too!

Forever 21 has a few pretty kimono-esque dresses like the one below. I also bought a blue and black print with kimono sleeves in Fall 2011 from Forever 21 that I am happy to rock again!

6) Panel pants
Through a side stripe, these pants will easily add a print or pop of color to your outfit, and have a slimming effect at the same time! Plus, we all know that a vertical stripe running down your legs will make you look taller. This pant has been referred to as the “dressed-up track pant.” Emphasis on “dressed-up.” This pant will not work with t-shirts; it is essentially a dress pant that should be paired with blouses and blazers. Perfect
for the office or a shopping day!

This trend is still working its way onto the high street. So I suggest you either invest in a neutral toned pair or wait a month until cheaper pairs are available at stores like H&M.

7) Oxblood
Oxblood is the new burgundy! Incorporate into on of these fall trends or rock it as an accessory! And of course, as always, this fall calls for jewel tones.

Riverisland.com has a cute oxblood skirt that you can start rocking now and add leggings to once the the
weather gets cooler.

8) Blanket coats
The coziest outerwear possible is in fashion this fall. PS: Check out the model’s oxblood belt and shoes. It’s always fabulous to mix trends! Blanket coats can be found in many styles including bright Navajo prints or even muted stripes. Makes me want to cuddle up by the fireplace with some hot cocoa and a black and white
film!

Quicksilver has an awesome coat that will keep you warm and cute all season!

9) Leather overload
Don’t be surprised if you see a celebrity rocking a floor length leather dress on the red carpet this fall. Head-to-toe leather was all over the runway! But what looks good on the runway doesn’t always translate into real-life looks. So don’t take the head-to-toe look literally, or you could be mistaken for a Goth! If you’re eager to
pull off this look before it’s cold, you could try some leather shorts!

Urban Outfitters has some cute vegan leather shorts. Keep in mind that they run small!

10) Menswear inspired
With menswear back in style, remember to think like a lady, and dress like a man! Long coats are another big fall trend, so you could buy one with big buttons and a strong silhouette! You don’t have to lose touch with your femininity to pull of the menswear. You could always wear a lacy blouse with a bow tie or pearls
with a tuxedo jacket.

These coffee colored oxfords add warmth to your look on crisp autumn nights! And they are a steal for just $34.99! Very Janelle Monae! But oxfords aren’t your thing, just buy a cheap bow tie from Forever 21, or raid your dad’s closet to add a touch of masculinity to your look!

Stay Fabulous!
HCXO,
Aisha Belagam

Aisha is a senior completing her last semester at San Diego State University.  Her experiences in very different parts of the world including Salt Lake City, Utah and the island of Penang in Malaysia have challenged her to develop into a interculturally competent person; one who can effectively work in multifaceted, result-driven environments and communicate with people from various ethnic and social backgrounds with an open mind. She has attended more than ten different schools with very different curriculums. She chose to pursue public relations and journalism because she wants to come “as close as possible to the heart of the world,” like Henry Luce.Her insatiable love for fashion, beauty and culture comes together perfectly in her position as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus SDSU. The management style and ambition that Aisha has is in part inspired by her father, an international entrepreneur and freelance journalist who has earned a reputation for being fervent and thought-provoking.She just completed a strategic PR proposal for her client, Freedom Ranch, and is currently interning at Gable PR. She plans on pursuing an M.B.A. in the future, with the hopes of establishing her own PR firm one day. She enjoys fashion, culture, the beach, playing soccer, music, traveling, gourmet food, shopping, writing, and socializing.