This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.
  1. You don’t have to go with people you already know to have the time of your life. Many people plan abroad with their friends which will be just as rewarding, but it is a common misconception that you must do this to have a good time. A lot of people abroad are looking to make new adventures and friends just like yourself, so it is easy to meet people with similar interests to you!

2. Don’t bring your hair dryer, straightener, or curler from home. The voltage is different in many other countries, and it can ruin your device. (Trust me, I had to learn the hard way). If you are going to be there for a long period of time, invest in buying a local hair straightener or curler because it will save your favorite home straightener from getting ruined and you will avoid unnecessary damage to your hair. Depending on where you go, you can find one for about $20. 

3. Try to cook your own meals at home as much as you can. This will save you from a few things. You can eat healthier and avoid the “Abroad 15” by making your own meals. You can also save a lot of money this way, instead of eating out all the time. Food, drinks, flights, Ubers, souvenirs, etc. add up very quickly, so any money you can save will help you budget. 

4. Bring basic clothes that can go with multiple different outfits. Most people love to overpack, and this is completely unnecessary because you WILL go shopping once you are there. Bring your favorite basics and these will go a long way. Don’t forget your favorite leggings and comfortable clothing because you’re not just visiting, you’re living! 

5. Look up what the weather will be like before you go and pack accordingly. Tourism typically revolves around summertime, and people often assume that the weather will be similar to a previous time they had visited their destination (during summer), but if you’re going for a semester, then the weather will probably be very different. I went to Barcelona (which is 90-100 degrees during summer), but during the winter it gets as cold as 30-50 degrees. Prepare for this ahead of time to ensure the clothes you bring are just right for when you will be in there. 

6. Get ready to have the best time of your life! Say yes to any opportunity you get to meet people or experience something new. Things can get expensive and budgeting is important, but chances are you will look back and be happy that you spent the money on an unforgettable experience. 

My name is Cassie Carfi, and I attend San Diego State University as a Business and Marketing major. I am originally from southern California and hope to live here for many years to come! I love the beach, art, traveling, and writing, and I hope you all enjoy reading my articles!
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!