5 Ways to Get In the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Let’s face it—we’re already a week into the month of October, and that means it’s time to get in the Halloween spirit. I think almost everyone can agree that October through December are the best months of the year because they’re filled with holidays, great food, cooler weather, and most importantly, scented candles. Since Halloween deserves to be a month-long celebration, here are 5 tips to getting yourself and your housemates into the Halloween spirit.

1. Decorate

My roommates and I have kept our Halloween decorations up since last October because we love this holiday that much. Pumpkin lights are essential in decorating your apartment, dorm, or house, and the orange glow they cast on the walls makes you feel spooky af.

2. Listen to Halloween music

“This Is Halloween” is the greatest hit of all time, if I do say so myself. You should have this on repeat right now if you don’t already. The best part is that there are multiple covers of this song, including one from Panic! at the Disco!

3. Watch Hocus Pocus every night

On October 2, my friend said to me: “I haven’t watched Hocus Pocus yet. What am I doing with my life!?” That’s what I wonder every time I realize it’s a a nice fall night and my TV isn’t displaying the greatest Halloween movie of all time. 

4. Buy harvest scented candles

I’m usually not a big fan of candles, but I always make sure I have at least 2 different fall scented candles because they are just subtle enough to fuel the fall fire inside you. My absolute favorite is the Harvest scent from Yankee Candle.

5. Go to a pumpkin patch

This one has to be the most obvious of them all. Nothing screams Halloween like buying a bundle of small pumpkins to place outside your door or on your balcony. Bonus points if you can find some spare time to actually carve the pumpkins too!

Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!
I am currently a sophomore at San Diego State majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. I have four years of experience as a writer and editor for my high school newspaper and am now one of the CC's for Her Campus SDSU. Taco Tuesday is my favorite day of the week, and yes, I am related to Abraham Lincoln.