This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Fall is a time to celebrate the brisk colder days, colorful leaves falling on the ground, large cozy sweaters and boots! With San Diego having a year-round average temperature of 75 degrees, we all still cannot help ourselves and want to indulge in pumpkin patches, apple picking and other exciting fall occurrences like other seasonal states have. 

Whether you want to drive to the mountain town of Julian to experience a beautiful scenic drive with changing colorful leaves, enjoy uncrowded beaches and hosting a cozy bonfire, pick pumpkins at the best pumpkin patches throughout San Diego or scout out the best places to take fall festive pictures with your friends and/or family!

The Pumpkin Patch 

1.) Bates Nut Farm

This pumpkin patch is the perfect spot for experiencing all the fall traditions. It started out as a walnut farm but over the years began to sell different types of nuts from all around the world, as well as many other yummy delights. Bates pumpkin patch is located North Inland of San Diego and has been in business for over 50 years – they really know how it is done! Did I mention they have tractor hayrides, a straw maze and a petting zoo?

Where: 15954 Woods Valley Road, Valley Center, CA 92082

Hours: Mondays-Fridays: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM Weekends: 8:30 AM – 6:00 PM 

October 11 & 18: 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM

Cost: Free Admission, Parking $5

Places you have to see for yourself:

1.) Julian 

This cute and quaint town of Julian is what you see in autumn Hallmark movies, I promise you! The town is located an hour east of San Diego and is a beautiful day or evening trip, especially in the fall because all of the trees changing colors. Fall in Julian is the perfect time because it is apple season, and that’s exactly what they are known for: apples and apple pie! Some things you can do here are: go gold panning, go on carriage rides, tour museums and antique shops and, of course, apple picking. If you love a small, fall vintage old town and everything apples, Julian is calling your name. 

Recommendations: Go during the week to avoid crowds or early weekend mornings.

Where: Main St, Julian, CA 92036

2.) Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park

Want to see Japanese maples trees in shades of red, yellow, orange, and green? If you have not gone, this garden is even better in the fall time. The Japanese Friendship Garden is perfect for a nice and relaxing stroll, and to enjoy the giant koi fish swimming in ponds scattered all throughout the garden. It’s a different place and out of the norm when thinking about fall but it’s definitely worth a trip! Not to mention the 3rdTuesday of the month is free.

Hours: Daily, 10 AM – 6PM

Cost: $12 adults; $10 students; free for kids 6 and younger

Where: 2215 Pan American Rd. E, San Diego, CA 92101

3.) Cuyamaca State Park

Whether or not you’re into camping, this park is a game changer in the fall time. The park is located right next to Cuyamaca lake and beautiful colorful trees that are reflected on the lake. If you love hiking, there are a lot of easy hikes around the state park.  

Where: 12551 Hwy. 79 Descanso, CA 91916

4.) Sweetwater River Bridge

This spot boasts a historic East County bridge and is a beautiful location to experience fall and its scenery. People always stop here for pictures because of the backdrop, especially during the weekends. The iron bridge was built in 1929 and gives off a very vintage feel. 

Where: 2951 Jamacha Rd., El Cajon, CA 92019

Karlie Bjorstrom

San Diego '21

Hello everyone! My name is Karlie and I am an undergraduate student at SDSU. I am majoring in Business Marketing and even though writing articles is not in the realm of business I enjoy writing out my thoughts and anything that inspires and motivates me! I am born in raised in San Diego, California and love anything outdoors like hiking, the beach, playing tennis, camping, and traveling.
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!