Style > Beauty

4 Tips to Grow Longer, Stronger & Healthier Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

College is filled with endless events, and with every fun night out comes another reason to style our hair. Whether your flat iron is your best friend or you can’t give up your extensions, these tips will help your hair regain its health in just a couple months!

1.) Add collagen powder to your daily routine.

Collagen is a natural amino acid that supports healthy skin, bones and joints so not only does it boost hair growth, but it also benefits your skin and nails! Collagen powders are sold at health food stores such as Sprouts and online (you can even get it on Amazon). Vanilla flavored collagen protein powder is my favorite because you can mix a scoop in with your morning coffee and it tastes just like creamer! Yum!

2.) DIY Castor oil and coconut oil hair mask.

Pinterest has numerous hair mask recipes that are easy enough to make in the comfort of your dorm room, but the only one that doesn’t leave my hair a greasy mess is made with castor oil and coconut oil. Mix two tablespoons of castor oil with one tablespoon of coconut oil in a bowl and microwave it for 45 seconds. Massage the warm oils into your hair and let it set for about 10 minutes. Then wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. Do this once or twice a week and enjoy how soft and shiny it leaves your locks!

3.) Sleep like a queen with a silk pillowcase.

Silk pillowcases help to control frizz, flyaways and kinks in the hair. I know a silk pillowcase sounds like quite the investment, but don’t worry, you can find them on amazon for not much more than dinner at Eureka!

4.) Don’t wash your hair every night.

Contrary to what most people think, it is beneficial to not wash our hair every day. The natural oils in our hair keep it healthy and strong, so try to minimize how much you shampoo your hair and always use a good conditioner to keep the ends moisturized and healthy. Rinse with cold water when shampooing and conditioning to help seal the hair cuticle to make it smoother and shinier!

I had tape-in extensions for three years and used my flat iron every day, but after researching and incorporating these tips into my life, I finally had the courage to take out my extensions and start bringing my hair back to life!

Hi everybody! My name is Kendell and I am a sophomore Journalism Major at San Diego State and writing is my passion. I love fashion, dancing and watching The Bachelor with my friends! If I am not at school you can find me at Trader Joes, at the beach eating Mexican food or at home spending time with my golden-doodle, Lola! I live for traveling and eating (checking out cute restaurants is one of my favorite hobbies)! I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus, happy reading!
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!