This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Due to the uncertainty of the coronavirus pandemic, many nail salons are being forced to close for health and safety precautions. Although it’s unlikely that you’ll be getting a professional manicure anytime soon, this doesn’t mean you can’t have your nails done. Now is the perfect time to DIY and experiment with your own manicure. Take some inspiration from the following looks and try them out at home!

Glitter Ombre

If you’re looking for a little bit of sparkle to brighten up your days inside, this is the look for you. Put on a coat of your favorite base color and paint two-thirds of your nail with glitter polish. For a more precise and neat application, try using a makeup sponge to apply your glitter polish. 

Minimal Lines

Although this look requires a steady hand, once you get your technique down you’ll have the perfect manicure. This minimalist look is simple yet impactful. To get the perfect line, use a nail art brush, a nail art pen or even a toothpick! 

Flowers

This next design is perfect for springtime. These dainty little flowers are cute without being over-the-top. Although this look may seem difficult, it’s actually really easy to replicate. Use a nail dotting tool to create your flowers. If you don’t have one, no need to worry! A bobby pin will do the trick. 

Multicolor

This design is probably the easiest on the list to recreate by yourself. For a simple yet sophisticated look, paint your nails different shades of the same color (or any colors you think look good together). Trying this is a super easy way to elevate a boring manicure. 

Many of your local nail salons are struggling due to the current situation with COVID-19. Although we’re unable to provide our business in person, there are still ways we can help. To support these local businesses, consider purchasing gift cards from your favorite salons or donating to organizations such as the California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative. All donations go towards a relief fund that will help support salon workers in the state of California. 

Hi! My name is Kiana and I'm a junior at San Diego State University. I'm currently majoring in journalism and media studies with a minor in television, film, and new media. I've always had a passion for writing and am so excited to be a part of the Her Campus community at SDSU!
My name is Katherine Chen, in HerCampus I was a writer and a Campus Correspondent. I really enjoy writing and it's a big part of who I am as a person. Outside of writing I enjoy ballet, playing the piano or guitar, I also enjoy hanging out with a good book and binge watching TV shows!