This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Living sustainably can be both impactful and fun! By incorporating these easy swaps into your lifestyle, you can reduce your ecological footprint and save money at the same time. Finding new ways to live sustainably and more mindfully can be exciting and can influence the people around you to do the same. Here are three of my favorite sustainability hacks that I’ve implemented into my daily life!

THRIFT! 

Swap out shopping online/in department stores for second hand stores!

Thrifting is the newest way to revamp your wardrobe while saving the planet. By thrifting your clothes you are able to find unique clothing that fits your style and is relatively cheaper than other stores. Don’t believe me? Check out your local Goodwill and see for yourself! If you can’t find time to go in person, try out some online thrifting apps such as Depop, Poshmark, eBay, and ThredUp!

GET A REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE!

Swap out plastic water bottles for a reusable water bottle!

Buying a reusable water bottle is one of the easiest ways to incorporate sustainability into your lifestyle and daily routine. This saves you money as well! Having a metal water bottle keeps your beverages cool/hot for the entirety of your day and allows you to express your creativity through it by adding your own stickers/picking out your own design! My personal favorites are Hydroflasks. I’ve had mine for the past five years and it’s awesome.

BEESWAX WRAPS!

Swap out tin foil or saran wrap for beeswax wraps!

Beeswax wraps are my newest find that left me pleasantly surprised! These wraps made from beeswax can be used to preserve leftovers, fruits, veggies, bread, cheese, you name it! You simply wrap it around your leftover food or container and put it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it again. Then, all you have to do is rinse it with cold water and it’s ready to be used for your next leftover dish. You can get your own pack of beeswax wraps from your local Trader Joe’s!

If you try at least one of these three swaps, you can reduce your carbon footprint immensely. Living sustainably and finding new hacks each day can be so fun and rewarding because you’re making a direct change by bettering your life, as well as our Mother Earth.

Until Next Time,

Mondy Kermani

Hi, I'm Mondy! I am currently a third year student at San Diego State University majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Media Studies while double-minoring in Marketing and Dance. Writing has always been a passion of mine because it has been an emotional and creative outlet for me. I love all things Harry Styles. You can find me at the nearest Dim Sum restaurant!
Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!