Women of Silicon Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

As modern women entering the professional world, we hear words such as “glass ceiling” and “wage gap” often. But they may not always seem so real to us.

Many of us will probably find a job in the Silicon Valley at some point in our lives. So it is important to know that the companies in the area often make it difficult to climb up the corporate ladder. That is, if you are a woman. According to Business Insider, women hold less than 11% of executive positions in the Silicon Valley, compared to the (also fairly dismal) national average of 16%.

These numbers might have something to do with the poor diversity statistics of tech companies in the Bay. Overall, only about 29% of employees at Silicon Valley tech companies are women, with Amazon hiring the most and Intel hiring the least. And the amount of these women who work in tech are even lower, hovering around 15%. Leadership, on the other hand, including executive and managerial positions, is only slightly better at 22%.

So what does this mean for us?

Women make up 51% of the US population, but 59% of the US workforce. That means that there are a lot more women in lower positions, and not nearly enough as leaders and women of power. Many people will say that this discrepancy is caused by women’s reluctance to be assertive, and unfortunately this may have some truth. Studies have shown that during a job interview, men are much more likely to ask for a higher starting salary than an equally qualified woman might.

If you’re already an assertive and fierce lady, congratulations! Keep doing what you’re doing, and keep being fabulous. But if not, just remember that you are worth the fight! We ladies have to band together in the workplace in order to stand up for each other and for ourselves. Together, we can join ranks and infiltrate the forces of the Silicon Valley.

Catherine is a sophomore English and Communication double major, hailing from the beautiful coastal town of Santa Cruz, CA. Her hobbies include reading books, collecting rare tea and feeling sophisticated, watching BBC shows, pretending to be good at singing, and running far, far away from people who tell her that there is nothing you can do with an English major. 
Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).