Why You Should Really Care about this Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

I know what you’re thinking. Another article about the election. We get it, this year is important. Everyone should go out and vote, etc., etc.

You’re probably a little tired of people hounding you to register to vote, something of which I am guilty. “But, my vote won’t count,” you may say, especially if you’re registered to vote in solid blue or red states like California. However, past voting trends show us that only about 60% of those eligible to vote actually vote in the presidential election. If almost everyone votes this November, we can be certain that your vote will count for something. The right to vote is something that many are not fortunate enough to have, so the simple act of voting seems like the best way to say “thank you” to our Founding Mothers.

Sometimes all of this nonsense makes you just want to become oblivious to everything going on. But hear me out. Your vote does matter and will influence the future of our nation. That being said, there’s a reason why this election cycle seems to elicit more conversation than any other. 2016 marks a pivotal year for this nation and either way the nation votes will completely change the future of our nation. You’re probably already familiar with the candidates and the fact that their political ideologies are quite polarized from one another, so I won’t spend time on what Clinton or Trump believes.

To make it easier for you, because I know how tedious it can be trying to keep up with the election, I’ll break it down into four important points why you should care about the 2016 presidential election, although, of course, there are many more.

The Supreme Court

The passing of Justice Scalia has left one open seat on the bench of the Supreme Court, the same Supreme Court that legalized gay marriage. The spot has yet to be filled due to Congress’ refusal to consider any of Obama’s nominations for the new justice. Considering the age of some of the current justices, new seats will probably open as well in the next four years. Now, the Court is split with four Democrats and four Republicans. Depending on who our next Commander-In-Chief will be will tilt the Court to either extremely liberal or extremely conservative. The court’s ideology will not only influence the outcome of future cases, but also preexisting decisions, such as whether or not Citizens United is kept. If you’re not familiar with this case, you can check it out here

Obamacare

Although about ten million Americans are enrolled in the Affordable Care Act, it is still hotly debated. While this program is not at all popular and is certainly flawed, it will most likely be kept and expanded if Clinton is voted into office. Trump, however, would end the existence of Obamacare, replacing it with a totally new healthcare reform law. The fate of Obamacare, nevertheless, depends on whether or not Congress remains red or becomes blue.  

Women

This one may be pretty obvious for the majority of us. If Clinton is elected, she will be the first female president of our nation and will make some monumental decisions to lessen sexism, such as fighting to close the pay gap, and hopefully succeeding. If Trump becomes our chief executive, this is far from guaranteed. That’s all I’ll say about that to avoid exposing some opinions that may already be apparent.

The Environment

Whether or not you believe climate change is real, the environment is at stake in the years to come. Our next president will have a huge impact on the fate of our planet. All of President Obama’s work with other nations on the environment, such as the recent ratification of the Paris Agreement, will either be furthered or reversed, depending on who the nation sees most fit to run the country.

So check the registration deadlines in your state and make sure you go out and vote on November 8th.  Your future depends on your ballot!

SaveSave

Mara Strong is a freshman at Santa Clara University where she is studying English and Philosophy. She loves everything Hamilton and is proud to call herself a Ravenclaw.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.