This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

There was something that was said in one of my classes almost a year ago, and it’s something that has continued to stick with me. “It takes too much effort to care, so people don’t.”

There are so many things wrong with this statement- the least of which is that it’s true. We all see tragedies happen around the world and care for a minute. Maybe we change a social media status to show our sympathy, but that’s it. While people still reap the effects of these tragedies, we continue about our daily lives because it’s easier. We forget and move on because it’s easier. We pretend that we’re invincible and nothing like these tragedies could ever happen to us personally because it’s easier. It is easier to fall for nothing than to stand for something.

At a time when there is so much heartbreak and pain in this world, it is no longer okay to stand for nothing. We have to start caring and doing something about it. If we allow indifference to take over and rule our lives, we will never be able to impact change or rid society of injustices. If we remain indifferent, tragedies like the Las Vegas shooting, or the Charlottesville Attack, or racial and homophobic injustices, and every other type of injustice will continue to run rampant and nothing will ever change.

I choose to believe that there is still good in the world, that there are still people who will stand up to help others and fight injustice. People like Ellen Degeneres inspire me to care. She refuses to give up hope in times when it seems so bleak. She chooses to constantly see and acknowledge the good in the world, while continuing to stand up and fight injustice. It’s time we start putting in the effort to care.

Tara Karanik is a sophomore student at Santa Clara University. In between late night studying for her Chemistry and History double major, her hobbies include binge watching puppy videos and Netflix. She is addicted to coffee and will most likely say she needs more coffee throughout the day. She has truly found a home at Santa Clara and looks forward to many more adventures as a Bronco.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.