Where to Stop on Your California Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

As a native East Coaster, coming to California for college was thrilling and daunting at the same time because I had so many new places to explore. Growing up in Connecticut, you pretty much have seen it all by the time you’re five and after that you can’t wait to go somewhere new for an adventure.

Although this is my third year here on the West Coast, I hadn’t properly explored my new home until recently. I had been to Santa Cruz a bunch of times, as well as San Francisco, but otherwise, I remained ignorant of the beauty around me.

This year I changed my ways. I have been on adventures from the very top of California in Mount Shasta, all the way down to San Diego. Here are my top recommendations for places to stop on your California road trip.

1. Carmel

I have a friend from Carmel and his Instagram is full of so many beautiful pictures by the ocean. After seeing too many amazing seascapes, I decided it was time to go. When my mom came for Parent’s Weekend, I took a Monday off and we drove down. As soon as we got on Highway 1 I was hooked. Among the beautiful ocean views are quaint stores and delicious restaurants that make a day trip down well worth it.

2. Mount Shasta

While I didn’t get the opportunity to actually be on the mountain, Mount Shasta is one of the prettiest views I have seen in California. On my way up the state I was taken aback by the most beautiful chunk of rock I’ve ever seen. As you may or may not know, Connecticut is not full of mountain ranges, so seeing Mount Shasta was a rare and exciting experience.

3. Yosemite

I doubt any of you are surprised by this suggestion but if you haven’t been before, you MUST go see Yosemite. It is honestly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and I have been to Yellowstone SIX TIMES. It is one of those places that you know is going to be beautiful but when you go and you’re standing next to Half Dome you realize how incredibly big the world is. If you haven’t been already, be sure to add this to your next trip.

4. Santa Barbara

I got to experience the beauty that is Santa Barbara last July and I was immediately obsessed. It’s one of those places that us East Coasters fantasize about when we think of California. There are mountains and beautiful beaches and piers and cool shopping streets and beautiful homes. I have been fortunate enough to go back recently and it was just as amazing as I had remembered. As you can imagine, I am counting down the days until I can go back again.

5. San Diego

When driving down to San Diego all I could talk about was how close we were going to be to Tijuana and how badly I wanted to go. Of course, no one was going to let me go to Tijuana, but that’s unimportant right now. When arriving in San Diego, my mindset quickly changed; I couldn’t imagine wanting to be anywhere else. The beaches are so large that they seem to be everywhere you look and the people are relaxed and friendly. Clearly I need to move there tomorrow.

My adventures throughout California have been some of the best of my life. I never knew how diverse one state could be with mountains, beaches, desserts, and forests. As I enter my last year here at SCU, I can’t wait to see what places I get to explore next!

Olivia is a Junior at Santa Clara University. She is a Communications and Anthropology Major. Her passions include photography, netflix and corgis.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.