The Value in Pick-Up Lines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Pick up lines are great.  They show that you can be funny, clever, and it takes a lot of the awkwardness out of asking that special person out.  Not all pickup lines have to be funny; they can just serve as a way to get some face-time in.  Others can be so over –the-top bad, you can’t help but laugh. Either way, the key to any good pick up line is context, so here’s a list of SCU-related pickup lines to help you take things with your crush to the next step.

1. The Benson Meal Point Special.  “I can’t let all those meal points go to waste, let me buy you the sauté special.”  This one is not very funny, but it works and is clutch for getting a little first date action in, and what better place for a first date than Benson?  You’re going to need meal points for this one to work, so save them up!
  2. The Sky-Lounge Kiss.  “Who can concentrate on homework with this beautiful view?”   [Look at view, then stare into crush’s eyes.] Think about it.  You’re at the library with your crush, studying for midterms, and you’ve been trying to get that first kiss.  Given libraries aren’t all too romantic, unless you’re into that whole librarian thing, the sky-lounge is your best bet for getting some action.  Plus, it feels like you’re in a movie when you kiss in front of a spectacular view, and who doesn’t want to star in their own romantic-comedy?
  3. The Other Library Line.  “I know we’re supposed to be checking out books but I can’t stop checking you out.” Works every time…sometimes.
  4. “Date and a fifth?” This is how we date at Santa Clara.
  5. Chemistry for the Chem Lab.  “Do you have 11 protons? Because you’re sodium fine.” This is great for the lab atmosphere because if your crush isn’t familiar with chemistry, you might come off as a little weird.  It’s hard to compliment a woman/man’s looks without sounding a little sketch, so this is a good way to keep it light.  Now all you have to worry about is finding a chem lab with an even ratio of boys to girls.

To be honest, none of these pick-up lines work.  Because the truth is, pick-up lines don’t work other than serving as an easy way to break the ice.  The secret to getting someone to go out with you is to stop thinking about it like it’s a game.  If we try too hard to impress, we lose intimacy, and sometimes just being vulnerable about how you’re feeling is important.  Be you, because no one else can, and whomever you end up dating will want the honesty.  Good luck Broncos!

Jake Lans is a sophomore at Santa Clara University majoring in English and minoring  in Sociology. Jake is from New York but moved out to California for the 'chill' college expereince. On campus, Jake is involved with The Stable at SCU, and he is the Fiction Editior for the Santa Clara Review, as well as working as a writer for Her Campus. He enjoys playing music, writing and reading, and skateboarding.