This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic threw a major curveball to the world last year. Essentially, every facet of life was impacted, including sports. But, with the postponement of many major sporting events, including the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, athletes were given more opportunities to train and prepare. It seems the extra time is paying off for these three women.

Simone Biles

The 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil were huge for Biles. She left the games with five medals, four of them being gold. Previously, she won the World Championship All-Around five times, the US National Championship six times and holds 25 World Championship medals. She really is the G.O.A.T., but she just keeps getting better. Prior to the postponement of 2020 events, Simone Biles debuted never-before-seen skills on both beam and floor. She was favored to win it all again in Tokyo, but the year-long delay seems to have worked in her favor. In a recent 60 Minutes segment, Biles showcased even more jaw-dropping skills. She challenges the capabilities of even the most elite male gymnasts in the world. With all the progress she has made since 2016, Biles is sure to perform some of the most challenging skills in future competitions.

Alex Morgan

In May of 2020, Alex Morgan gave birth to her first child, a daughter, Charlie. After announcing she was pregnant, questions quickly arose as to whether or not Morgan would have enough time to recover from pregnancy and childbirth before the beginning of the Tokyo Games in July of 2020. But, the postponement of the Games has given  Morgan more time to recover from the birth of her daughter. The pandemic brought other new opportunities for Morgan, including signing with a new club, Tottenham Hotspur F.C. in London, and developing a new company. Morgan left Tottenham Hotspur F.C. and is now back in the States. Morgan is sure to retain her responsibilities with the US Women’s Soccer Team this summer, but this time she has a new responsibility: being a mom.

Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka has had many successes in the sport of tennis in only a few short years. In September of 2013, at 16 years old, Osaka turned professional, representing Japan. With two US Open wins (2018 and 2020) and an Australian Open win in 2019, Osaka is surely someone to keep an eye on. At the 2021 Australian Open, Osaka beat Serena Williams in the semi-final, securing her spot in the final against Jennifer Bracy of the United States. In the final, Osaka defeated Brady in straight sets to win her second Australian Open. With this year’s Olympics being held in Japan, Osaka will surely have plenty of support.

Sydney Pattison is a 1st year student studying Neuroscience at Santa Clara University. She plans to pursue a career in child and adolescent psychiatry. When not studying, Sydney enjoys working out, cooking pasta, and loving on her dogs.
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!