Thoughts on the Quarter System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

As my first year of college comes to an end, I have learned that there are both pros and cons to the quarter system. Here are my thoughts on the quarter system.

Pro: Spring Quarter is an exciting time for everyone in the quarter system. It is the stereotypical picture of what college is- the sun is out and students are hanging out outside on the quad, as the beginning feelings of summer are fast approaching. 

Con: Quarter system classes go by so fast that it can be hard to make and maintain relationships with people in your classes. When you have the same class for 15 weeks, it’s easier to get to know people and form closer relationships.

Pro: While the quarter system is only 10 weeks, it gives you the opportunity to take more classes and discover more interests easier than in a 15-week semester. Because we switch classes three times a year instead of two times, we have the opportunity to explore new topics and subjects.

Con: Because each quarter is so short, the schoolwork seems to pile on without much of a break and it can get very overwhelming and stressful. Entire classes are shoved into a short time period in the quarter system, whereas other schools have the entire semester to learn the material.

Pro: The quarter system is also great because if you have a hard class or you just hate one of your classes, it’ll be over sooner because it only lasts 10 weeks. The quarter system also means that if you have a hard professor that doesn’t curve the class, you only have to put up with it for 10 weeks instead of 15.

Con: The hardest part of the quarter system is having different breaks from your high school friends. While I am still drowning in papers and studying for midterms and finals, everyone I went to high school with is enjoying the hot sunny weather of Arizona.

Pro: The perfect time to adventure to Disneyland is when everyone leaves to go back to school and you still have a month. My friend who is also on the quarter system and I went to Disneyland before we left for college and there were no lines in the park because everyone else had already left for school. That awkward break between when everyone leaves for school and you leave is the perfect time to take road-trips.

In the end, the school and the different aspects of the school are what matter, not whether or not it operates on the quarter system. 

Tara Karanik is a sophomore student at Santa Clara University. In between late night studying for her Chemistry and History double major, her hobbies include binge watching puppy videos and Netflix. She is addicted to coffee and will most likely say she needs more coffee throughout the day. She has truly found a home at Santa Clara and looks forward to many more adventures as a Bronco.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.