Super Bowl Super Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last year, you’ve probably heard that the city of Santa Clara will be hosting Super Bowl 50 this coming February. But what you might not know is that the city will also be hosting some exciting and incredible events in preparation for the big day. Not a football fan? That’s okay, because with so many cool things going on, there’s something different for everybody!

1. STEM Innovation Bowl

On January 30th at the Central Park Library, you can don a virtual reality headset to experience crazy new kinds of immersive technology, from feeling the weightlessness of zero gravity to playing a video game in a computerized world. The exhibit, titled “Experience from Afar,” will explore the future of viewing football and the vast new horizons of virtual reality. Tickets are free, and you can find them here.

2. Super Community Concert and Fireworks

Get ready for a night out with your girls or your SO, because the show on January 31st promises to be unforgettable! The event features Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist Heart, and is opened by Lydia & Cold Blood. The show will finish with a literal bang- a fireworks show at night. For more info and tickets, click here.

3. Super Community Celebration

The day before the Super Bowl – February 6th –  will feature day-long festivities as we continue the countdown to the big game. Activities include Celebrity Sweat ® Flag Football Game, Pep Rallies, Fan Experience Zone, and Flavors of Santa Clara with gourmet food and wine. For more info, check out the Santa Clara city website here.

No matter what you are interested in, you’re bound to have a good time!

Catherine is a sophomore English and Communication double major, hailing from the beautiful coastal town of Santa Cruz, CA. Her hobbies include reading books, collecting rare tea and feeling sophisticated, watching BBC shows, pretending to be good at singing, and running far, far away from people who tell her that there is nothing you can do with an English major. 
Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).