This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The school year coming to a close means one thing: summer! One of my favorite ways to unwind after a stressful quarter is to take a break from assigned readings for class and read what I actually want to read. Here are some summer reading books to help you relax this summer.

Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

I always find myself rereading Gay’s compilation of essays about her life and the world in which we live. I can rely on this book to make me laugh or even get a little teary-eyed as these essays are so relevant and relatable.

Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy

Maile Meloy’s novel is about a family cruise gone horribly wrong. Perfect for a summer vacation right? This book is great for the thrill loving reader who hates putting books down until they are finished.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

This novel is not your typical vacation read. It is narrated by a young boy with autism and is quite tragic, but a great story, nonetheless.

Commonwealth by Anne Patchett

I’m partial to this novel by Anne Patchett in part because some of the plot takes place near my hometown, but this is a book I could not put down when I first read it. Commonwealth explores the life of a dysfunctional and complex family relationship over the period of many decades. 

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Kwan’s novel developed into a trilogy following a wealthy Chinese family. Crazy Rich Asians, the first novel in this series, is a perfect book to accompany lounging by the pool. Pick up all three to fill your summer. 

Mara Strong is a freshman at Santa Clara University where she is studying English and Philosophy. She loves everything Hamilton and is proud to call herself a Ravenclaw.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.