Succulents? More like su-CUTE-lents!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

If you know me personally (or follow me on Instagram), you’ll know I love flowers and plants. But most of all, I love succulents. These adorable little guys are definitely in vogue these days, and I have to say, I can see why. First off, they are the most low-maintenance plant ever. The worst you can do is actually over water them. Second, they are so beautiful! Their green color lights up any room and brightens up your day. My succulents, Phineas and Herb, are definitely the most exciting decoration in my room and are there for me at any time. And lastly, there is definitely a succulent out there for you! Each plant is unique and the varieties are so diverse that you will find at least a few that draw your eye.

Because I’m clearly obsessed, I’ve done my research on how to take good care of them. Here are the most valuable pointers I’ve picked up along the way:

Different succulents like different weather

This is something most people don’t realize (or at least I didn’t). If you live in NorCal or above, the succulents best fitting the climate are a little fuzzy and a colder blue color, grey, or even purple. If you live in SoCal (or at the sunny SCU), the right plant friends are bright green and shiny!

Sun!

There is no such thing as too much sun. Your succulent needs six hours of sun a day! So keep ‘em close to the window. Plus… look! They glow! (Featured below: Phineas shining like the bright star that he is)

Don’t over-water

Actually though. Water your green guy once a week maximum. I haven’t watered mine in two weeks and they are looking fresh and radiant. Also, I heard saying nice things to your plants makes them grow more, so compliment away!!

If you still think taking care of succulents sounds too stressful, or that having a plant in your dorm room is a recipe for disaster, don’t fret! You can always stroll down to the Forge Garden off-campus to enjoy some beautiful greenery, unique succulents, and even some chickens!

SaveSave

Franco-American. Yes, this does mean she likes cheese twice as much. Liane is Pre-med, a Public Health major, and obsessed with the gym/photography. She's always down to gaze at the stars. Ask Liane about workouts or health tips!
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.