SCU Grads: Where Are They Now?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

It all seems pretty straightforward. Go to college, graduate, have a job. Boom. However, until you are in the everyday throws of the collegiate lifestyle (struggling to meet deadlines, cramming, losing sleep and still maintaining a social agenda) you might be left wondering, “How and where and with what skills do I find myself a post-grad job????”

Her Campus caught up with some of SCU’s very own dignified alumnae to take a look at what some post-grad options can look like.

Meet Rebecca Grounds, current resident of Belfast, Northern Ireland. She graduated from SCU in 2008, with a dual degree in History and Political Science.

After graduation, Rebecca moved to San Francisco where she stayed for about a year. She then completed a Master’s in Ancient History at Queen’s University Belfast. While studying at this fine institute, she met her now husband, dashing British native Andrew Grounds. Since then, she’s been working for a non-profit organization that supports women and children who have experienced domestic violence. She is a family support worker based in a refuge (or what we would call a shelter).

“Recently within my role, I have also been supporting female victims of human trafficking in Northern Ireland and have been involved in a lot of awareness raising around the issue of human trafficking,” like going all the way to London to speak in front of Parliament on behalf of those women affected by trafficking.

Next up we have Jessica Reiner. She graduated from SCU in 2013 with a major in Psychology and a minor in Philosophy.

Once completing her undergraduate degree, Jessica moved home to Southern California to be closer to her family. She began work at Fusion Academy as the Director of First Impressions. Fusion Academy is an accredited, non-traditional private school for grades 6-12.

“We offer students the opportunity to learn on their terms, on their schedule, and in their learning style—all in a one-to-one classroom. That’s right, our program is completely one-to-one, which means there is one teacher and one student in the classroom. My role as the Director of First Impressions was very much similar to that of a school secretary. I was working with our full-time and part-time students with the enrollment process, all the way to graduation. As a part of the administration team, I planned events such as New Student Orientation, Spirit Week, various field trips, Prom, 8th grade graduation, and our 12th grade graduation. I also worked very closely with our parents to make sure that we were meeting the needs of their child.”

This past February, Fusion opened a school in Austin, Texas. Jessica took a promotion as Director of Student Development, which she says is very similar to the role of a school counselor. She has loved living in a thriving city like Austin, and she is very thankful for this opportunity and the incredible growing experience that it has been!

Finally, we have Michelle Folan, who graduated just last June as a Communication major and Entrepreneurship minor.

She now lives in San Francisco with her two best friends and fellow Broncos, Molly Terrell and Carley Henning. The gals LOVE getting out and exploring everything that the city has to offer. They also enjoy gabbing about their current career endeavors, as they are all fully employed and embracing the 9-5 lifestyle. Michelle works in inside sales at Yelp. She grinds everyday in order to reach her quota, speaking with clients on the phone and working her magic to win over their hearts (and their business).

As for some final words of wisdom to current Broncos, the girls offer some of their most genuine insights:

“Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars,” says Michelle. She affirms that especially as a young person entering the workplace, it’s important to be confident and go for the gold. “Always work hard, never be afraid to try new things and reach out to alumni!”

Jess suggests to “slow down and enjoy! Let go of the pressure of finding a job right after graduation and embrace your current accomplishments. The right opportunity is out there for you and sometimes that takes time. I also would recommend getting out of your box! For me, moving back home was great because I was able to get out of my college bubble and explore other opportunities. That first year out of SCU was definitely a tough one. I was working long hours and commuting 1.5 hours each way. However, it gave me the strength and courage to move across the country, knowing no one, and take a new job. Take risks, listen to your mentors, and find something that you absolutely love doing. Work in a place that brings you joy and have fun doing it!”

Rebecca emphasizes the importance of work experience and networking. “Get internships and make connections in the field, and if possible, the location you want to work in while you’re still in school. This will really help you to secure a job after graduation. Also, the first job you get may not be one you stay in for the next 10-20 years, and that is okay. It is good experience.” She goes on to point out, “I think it is key though to find what you’re passionate about and find a job that pays you to do it. Life is too short to waste doing something you don’t enjoy and you will be happier and more fulfilled if you are doing something you care about.”

All three girls were in unanimous agreement that SCU prepared them for life after college by providing an incredible network of peers and mentors, lasting friendships, and a nutrient-rich environment that fostered nonstop growth and learning.

Life enthusiast, with an undying thirst for passion and anything delicious. Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Communications at Santa Clara University. Born and raised in the beautiful beach town of Encinitas, located in San Diego, California.
Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).