This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

For Sammie Yamashita, social media is life.  From the age of fifteen, Sammie discovered her love for social media when she created a meme page that went viral at her high school in Millbrae, CA.  Today, as the social media director of Her Campus at Santa Clara University, Sammie is in charge of the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat, ensuring that everyone and their mother has heard about Her Campus.  While working to keep social media posts on a schedule, Sammie is also the mastermind behind the captions that convince readers to read more. 

In fact, chances are, if you’ve ever read anything from one of Santa Clara University’s various social media accounts, Sammie was probably behind that post.  Working for the past two years as the Social Media Intern for the Office of Marketing and Communications at Santa Clara University, Sammie writes posts for SCU’s official Facebook and Twitter and covers events through “This Week at SCU” on the school’s Snapchat, reaching up to 200,000 viewers. 

When she’s not juggling social media accounts, Sammie utilizes her power of persuasion to educate others about the benefits of veganism.  Being an environmental studies major and surrounded by like-minded people inspired Sammie to change her own actions to better the environment.  Now a vegan for about a year and a half, Sammie encourages everyone to watch the documentaries, Cowspiracy and Forks Over Knives.

As a senior who will be graduating in June of 2017, Sammie hopes to continue with her passion for social media but will miss the social aspects of SCU the most, like being able to wake up and hang out with her best friends no matter what time of the day or night it is.

Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.