Morris Kim ’15: OFF Campus Cutie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The Basics

Name:  Morris Kim

Hometown: Portland, Oregon

School Year:  Junior

Major:  Anthropology

Describe yourself in 3 words: genuine, confident, adventurous.

Zodiac Sign:  Virgo

SCU Life

What activities or clubs are you in?  Community facilitator, tutor at the Drahmann center

What is your favorite place on campus? Meditation room, highly underrated.

Favorite subject or class?  Health, disease, and culture: Anth 134

What is your most embarrassing SCU moment? Freshman year, I was at the gym on the bench press trying to be the cool kid who doesn’t use weight clips. So when the bar started tilting to one side, the weights slid out one after another and made a huge racket, successfully getting everyone’s undivided attention. I felt like such a pencilneck. Lesson of the story: use weight clips.

What’s one thing you want to do before you graduate? Do something nice for Cecelia who, without fail, brightens up my day with just one visit to the Cellar.

Favorite food in Benson:  Hands down, chicken parm.

Abroad Life

Where are you studying abroad? Oxford, United Kingdom

How long are you studying abroad for? One whole year!

What program are you in? Not really sure if it actually has a name… That’s how underground it is. Something like “Honors program Oxford scholarship” I think.

What is your favorite place you’ve visited? The Lofoten Islands in Northern Norway with its crystal blue water and amazing fjords. Oh, and the northern lights aren’t too shabby either.

What is your favorite thing about Oxford? The university golf team. Every weekend, I get to play fantastic golf at England’s top courses with my mates, fully paid for. Also, I love how often I get to wear a tuxedo. It’s honestly getting a bit out of hand.

What do you want to do most before you leave that you haven’t done yet? Drink a pint at every pub in Oxford. There’s something like 103 of them, lots of work left to be done.

What advice do you have for students getting ready to go abroad? Be aware of how much money you’re spending; being abroad is an expensive experience! That being said, don’t be cheap or stingy when it comes to new and unique experiences. You don’t want to go home wishing you had done something or gone somewhere you opted out of to save a little cash. And most of all, enjoy every single moment of it because it’s a chance of a lifetime!

Are you living in an apartment or a home stay? I live in a off-campus housing complex with a bunch of other Oxford students.

Fun Facts

What would you say your spirit animal is? A fox. Crafty, cunning, and of course, foxy. Pretty self-explanatory.

Dream Job? Travel blogger/show host – an Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern figure. But realistically some sort of physician; maybe a dermatologist or a pediatrician.

Celebrity Crush: Ironically, both English. Jenna Coleman because she’s the Doctor’s assistant and Emma Watson, because Emma Watson.

Pet Peeves: Oh I’ve got many but I’ll just provide the highlights: slow walkers, food servers who give unnecessarily small portions, poorly ventilated bathrooms (which are way too common in England) and the absolute WORST is when a person giving a speech holds the microphone slightly too far from the mouth so that nobody can really hear what’s going on.

Love Life

Relationship Status: Single

Ideal first date: A nice dinner and maybe a quality pub crawl afterwards. Pub crawls get more and more interesting as the night unfolds. In the best way possible, of course.

Deal Breakers: Flakiness!

First thing you notice in a girl: A great smile and a sharp sense of humor. I guess that’s two things but a sense of humor is absolutely essential.

This or That

Mac or PC?  Mac

Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate

American or English girls? American girls, most def.

Boxers or briefs? Boxer briefs

Tea or coffee? Usually tea for me, but I recently found that coffee is crucial for the 12-hour-overnight-Oxford-essay-writing-marathons I’ve found myself partaking in way too often…

Christmas or Thanksgiving? Nothing beats the Christmas season.

Abby is a sophomore at Santa Clara University majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Her roots in Denver, Colorado have led her to love hiking, running, and other outdoor activities. Abby is also passionate about reading, science, and certain comedy T.V. shows, including Parks and Recreation and Modern Family. She is actively involved in the SCU Solar Decathlon team, Young LIfe, and intramural sports.