Meet Your ASG Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Erica Valle & Frankie Bastone

How did you guys meet?

We always passed each other in Locatelli engaging in various leadership experiences. The first time we actually met, had a conversation, and shared in memories together was as Orientation Leaders this past summer.

How did you decide to become a team?

We decided to become a team because we wanted the opportunity to impact others to become more here at Santa Clara. We both had a passion and vision of celebrating everyone and giving others the opportunity and resources to be leaders. When I asked her, we were very excited and began planning right away… everyday. As time passed we couldn’t wait to implement our visions and ideas.

What’s your slogan?

Our Platform is the 3 I’s : Innovate, Ignite, and Impact. Our tagline is “We are all part of a spotted SCU.” Our 3 I’s interact and converge at a single SPOT. Each of your own experiences brings innovation, ignites, and impacts, leaving a mark, a SPOT– your SPOT– and together we are a SPOTTED SCU.

What changes do you want to bring to SCU?

One of the biggest things that we want to focus on is celebrating diversity. SCU’s organizations that make up the MCC, LGBTQ community, commuters, international students, etc. all celebrate their own diversity on their own and raise awareness on their own and what Erica and I want to do is have all of campus celebrate and support.

Why do you want to be President/VP?

We have a vision, a vision for ASG, for the community as a whole, and for each individual Bronco. It is something more. Innovate. Ignite. And Impact. It is not in any of our nature to merely just be here for 4 years. We will and are doing something more. We are everyday a spotted SCU. Seek always to engage. “True leaders, do not make people into followers, but into other leaders” (John Holt). Find your spot to be a leader.

Fun question – favorite spot on campus?

“My favorite spots on campus are Buck Shaw Stadium, St. Joseph’s, St. Ignatius lawn, and 1st floor in the library.” – Frankie Bastone

Paulette Rigali & Nick Reed

How did you guys meet?

We met freshman year through classes.

How did you decide to become a team?

We worked together on ASG and recognized we work well together and compliment each other’s strengths.

What’s your slogan?

“Broncos, Hoof in Hoof we’ll raise the Roof”

Running on a platform of Unite SCU: Collaborate and Innovate, we strive to break barriers and build a united community of Broncos. Some of the ways we plan to do this are:

1. Bring pep rallies to SCU for Welcome Weekend and as big before game celebrations on the Swig lawn.
  2. Implement an electronic master calendar for all student organizations on SCU’s website.
  3. Add a student touch to our campus with a mural on the back side of the library.

Why do you want to be President/VP?

We are running as a ticket for President and VP because we want to use our experience and enthusiasm to continue serving Santa Clara’s community.

Fun question – favorite spot on campus?

Paulette: Walking down Palm drive with the Mission behind you, looking ahead at our beautiful campus.

Nick: The Mission on Sunday nights for 9pm mass, it’s great to see the community coming together!

Anaisy Tolentino & Patrick McDonell

How did you guys meet?

We first met through ASG when both of us were elected as Sophomore Senators.

How did you decide to become a team?

We each recognized our own desires to be a part of the organization for our last year, to share and implement our ideas around the school, and to use ASG as an outlet for all the enthusiasm we have as Broncos.

What’s your slogan?

We have two: our campaign is structured around three words, “Connect, Illuminate. Empower.” The campaign slogan is “Go Electric” which refers to both the color we have chosen for our campaign (electric blue) and the energy that we intend to bring to our roles on student government.

We have a number of ideas, but here are some major ones:

1. Under Connect: A magazine-style newsletter for ASG that will keep students informed about the projects that ASG is working on as well as upcoming projects.
  2. Under Illuminate: We would like to have a Meet-&-Greet opportunity with the permanent residents that live around campus. We hope to improve the degree of respect and understanding that off campus residents and students have for one another.
  3. Under Empower: We would like to mandate Senator interaction with constituents in some way. ASG can do a much better job of putting action behind the ideas, concerns, and opinions of the student body.

Why do you want to be President/VP?

We are both confident in ASG’s ability to enact the change that the students want to see. We want to work to make sure that all members of the organization are at their best and doing a great job to serve the student body. We are excited to find ways to really maximize the organization’s potential from the inside.

Fun question- favorite spot on campus?

Anaisy: Cubicles, 2nd floor library – it’s a party every night

Patrick: Definitely the Sacred Heart statue in the Mission Gardens